PDA

View Full Version : Medicine policy

Paulab
08-05-2013, 09:12 PM
Hi I'm just reviewing my Medicine policy and it originally say I am happy to give children prescribed and non prescribed medicines. When in fact I'm not actually happy too,

I have only until just recently had one full time child and I've never given her medicine,her mum is my friend and the few times child has been on antibiotics her mum has popped into to give the her the daytime dose as she's a driving instructor, and I've always stuck to the rule that if the child needed calpol then they are not fit to be in the setting, I have however used other methods to cool the child down until mum gets here, i.e cooling with a cold flannel, plenty of fluids, opening doors. etc

I now have another full time child and again the mum works locally so has picked up quickly and timed the doses of antibiotics to give at home

I apply the same rules to my after schoolies
All parents are informed of this verbally when the contact starts, and if they tell me the child is on any form of medicines. but my original policy could mislead them and they were given copied at the start of the contract,

So what do I need to write in a policy or do I just put that I do not give any medicine ?

bunyip
09-05-2013, 08:11 AM
Ofsted have some good points in their recent guidance document: Ofsted | Search results: Resources (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/results/080290) . Pay attention to the critical points on the first page, especially the need to have a plan for the lo's welfare if they suddenly need relief.

Do be careful. A blanket refusal to medicate will almost certainly discriminate against many potential service users. :(

sarah707
09-05-2013, 06:06 PM
I agree with bunyip - we must be inclusive. My ds used to have febrile convulsions and needed immediate medication - how would you manage that if your policy said that you wouldn't give medication?

i think if you are concerned then you need to take a measured approach - you will consider medication administration on a case-by-case basis and ask parents to speak to you in advance rather than expecting a doorstep decision.

Does that help? :D

Paulab
10-05-2013, 08:37 PM
I had a visit from my DO & spoke to her about it, she said its my policy & my business & if I'd rather not give medicine then that is up to me,

Much like my children's school & the school I collect from & I think most schools, do not give things like calpol, they will however watch children self administer (things like inhalers)

But I do take on board what you both say, & think I will put in my policy that I will discuss things with parents/carers on a case by case basis.

my policy will state that I will make children as comfortable as possible, I will sponge down, open windows, & remove/loosen clothing, & parents/careers will be required to collect immediately, all of my current parents are no more than 10 mins away from collecting or have family who could collect, anyway,
I also will watch older children self administer an inhaler.

I do not usually keep calpol / ibruofen in the house, I always have prescription paracetamol / ibruofen for my daughter as I have a lovely doc who doesn't mind giving me it on prescription, & I wouldn't be happy giving it to other children.

Thank you both, much appreciated