PDA

View Full Version : Bought books vs Library books

HappygoLucky
08-05-2013, 12:35 PM
Now I know we need to have books to cater for all ages and needs of children. My question is do I need to buy the books or is it sufficient for me to have books borrowed from library? In this way I can renew them and change the books to meet the different needs of children. I want to know where I stand on this as I dont want to get in trouble with the inspector when I get my first visit!

Optimalstar
08-05-2013, 12:52 PM
Books are books, it doesn't matter where you get the from so long as you have some. Visiting the library with the children can be a plus too. Mention to the library you're a childminder, assuming you haven't already done so, you ay be allowed more books x

Dragonfly
08-05-2013, 01:02 PM
I use the library, have books at home but don't want millions lining my shelf, good to change them often,so yes library gets my vote :thumbsup:

hectors house
08-05-2013, 01:16 PM
Our library has just changed over to self service and I get a printed receipt of the books and when they are due back (I have a childminder card which means I get them for 4 months without paying fines). The great thing about the printed receipt is I have started highlighting on them who chose which books or which childs interest the book relates to and filing them with my very loose planning notes to show that I am following childrens interests.

Optimalstar
08-05-2013, 01:18 PM
I have a room full of books, they're my addiction, but I still visit the library.

Mia73
08-05-2013, 08:41 PM
Sorry May I ask what is childminder card? I have a normal library card but did not realise Childminders could get special ones...

Optimalstar
08-05-2013, 08:48 PM
Sorry May I ask what is childminder card? I have a normal library card but did not realise Childminders could get special ones...

You just tell the library that you are a childminder. They then either allow you more books or books for longer or both. I only knew from when I worked in the nursery and used to take groups of children to a library. They used to go to access story sessions. Different places do different things so just ask what they do.

Maza
08-05-2013, 09:11 PM
Save your money and storage space and get library books. An inspector will not care where you get your books from as long as the children have access to a wide range of literature. You will get brownie points for taking the children to the library anyway. Also, library budgets are affected by how many books they loan out each year so you will be doing them a huge favour! x

bunyip
09-05-2013, 07:52 AM
You just tell the library that you are a childminder. They then either allow you more books or books for longer or both. I only knew from when I worked in the nursery and used to take groups of children to a library. They used to go to access story sessions. Different places do different things so just ask what they do.

I think a lot of CMs don't know about this - certainly not in my county. When I applied, mine was the only name in the file that was not written with a quill-pen. :rolleyes:

VeggieSausage
09-05-2013, 08:19 AM
Yes the childminders ticket allows you longer borrowing times and many more books so it does make using library books a lot easier...

HappygoLucky
09-05-2013, 08:51 AM
Thank you every one. I feel a lot relieved now!

loocyloo
09-05-2013, 10:16 AM
my library recently sold off old stock etc, and whilst some of the books were damaged i bought alot of our favourites to go in the outside book box ( it has a lid, but books sometimes get damp if not put away! ) and alot of non fiction books - some had barely been looked at, and to buy them knew would have been £8-10 a time and i paid between 20 & 50p!

Mice and Toad
09-05-2013, 03:09 PM
my library recently sold off old stock etc, and whilst some of the books were damaged i bought alot of our favourites to go in the outside book box ( it has a lid, but books sometimes get damp if not put away! ) and alot of non fiction books - some had barely been looked at, and to buy them knew would have been £8-10 a time and i paid between 20 & 50p!

My library did this as well.

It would be the library route all the time, much cheaper as well.:blush:

hectors house
09-05-2013, 03:25 PM
I just told my library when EYFS was launched in 2008 that in Ofsted's eyes I was exactly the same as a Nursery and that I wanted the same from my library card - I can only borrow children's books, but have my own card if I want to borrow child development type books from adult section. Can borrow about 25 books (including the BIG ones - but I don't as I can't carry them home) - I can have these books for up to 4 months and don't pay any fines.:clapping:

Maza
09-05-2013, 03:46 PM
I just told my library when EYFS was launched in 2008 that in Ofsted's eyes I was exactly the same as a Nursery and that I wanted the same from my library card - I can only borrow children's books, but have my own card if I want to borrow child development type books from adult section. Can borrow about 25 books (including the BIG ones - but I don't as I can't carry them home) - I can have these books for up to 4 months and don't pay any fines.:clapping:

I know what you mean about carrying them all home! I load up the double pushchair with them - some in the baskets and some in strong carrier bags on the handles. We can't fit through doorways then though! Our library is also at the bottom of a long steep hill and we live at the top (in a first floor flat) so it is a big workout! x

LittleAcornsThatcham
01-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Interesting thread, not sure all counties do this? Ours doesn't charge fines for children's books anyways. What I used to do was ask parents for the child's key fob - our libraries give a card and a key fob card - then I just kept that and they had their own books.

mrstom
01-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Our library (Stockport LA) let you take out 8 but you get to keep them for up to three months. I use the library quite a bit although I do have a book addiction so I tend to buy a lot too <hangs head in shame>

kellyskidz!
01-07-2013, 11:27 AM
I'm more of a bought books fan to be honest..
You can get them for such low prices nowadays, and also I'm SHOCKING at remembering to send library books back. They hate me there lol:blush:
We do sometimes go to the library but I usually read to the kids there, and then not take any home because I know I'll forget about them and have to pay a fine!
I have noticed a library bus driving past my house too with a rainbow and some children painted on it, so I'm wondering if its a children's mobile library. I'm going to keep an eye out and note the phone number next time it goes by, see what that's about :thumbsup: xx