PDA

View Full Version : looking at primary schools

ozzy10
03-05-2013, 06:56 AM
My eldest will be starting primary school in September 2014.

We've a school in our village that's very big and I'm not over keen on the head.

There is another school in the next village (still walking distance) tgat only has 2 class rooms and takes a maximum of 8 children a year.

I hadn't really considered the smaller school as believed his year to be full. However his key worker at preschool has said he would be much more suited to the smaller school so to ring and get him known to the school.

I've rung and am going for a look round on Tuesday. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas what I should look for and what questions are good to ask?

adedwards68
03-05-2013, 10:57 AM
Hi

I can't think of any questions but when my youngest started school, now in yr2, I didn't go to my local school which is directly opposite where I live it went from reception to yr 6 with 2 classes in each year, so quite a big school
Instead he went to a little village school, reception to yr2, with 2 classes, about 60 pupils. A large school would have been do daunting for him and he loves it there. Plus this year they have gone to 3 separate classes and he only has 17 in his class

Maza
03-05-2013, 12:07 PM
If it's a small school you might want to ask what their lunch time arrangements are - can they have a hot school meal or do they all have to bring packed lunch? Do they mix year groups (small schools often do). My niece has three year groups in her class. It doesn't seem to be a problem for her but you might not like that.

To be honest, there will never be a 'perfect' school and you have to go for the 'best fit'. Use your instincts when you visit and you will just get a 'feel' for whether it is the right school for your child or not. x

AliceK
03-05-2013, 05:02 PM
I agree about going with your instincts when you get there. My local school I always said my DS wouldn't go there. When he got to age 3 I went there to look around to see if I wanted him to go to the nursery, I only went to satisfy my own curiosity and so I could write it off. The head of foundation met me and gave me a guided tour not only of the nursery but the whole school. I was so impressed I decided there and then he would go to that school. He's now in year 4 and DD is also there now. It's a fantastic school. If I hadn't looked round it I would never have sent either of them there. My advice would be to look at a few and go with your instinct.

xxx

dawn100
04-05-2013, 11:39 PM
I can't get my head round how small that school must be, in my ds school there are 90 children per year!
He was a very shy child when he started but hes now in yr2 and I think mixing with all the different children has done him the world of good and now he's a much more confident child.
One thing I have learnt about when choosing schools is everyone has their own opinion and will often try to tell you why the school they have chosen is the right school! My eldest started secondary school last year and boy did the school debates in the playground get heated, I just tried to keep my head down!
But you have to go with what you think is best for your child as you know your child the best and where you think they are most likely to thrive.
I would try to make appointments to look round both schools when it is a normal day so you can get a feel for the schools.

CLL
05-05-2013, 04:23 AM
Questions to ask

1. How do they differentiate the work? Is it by age or ability?
2. Do the older children have a more structured day than the younger ones?
3. Are they 3 distinct classes taught as 1, or 1 whole class?
4. Do all children learn the same topics?
5. How many support staff do they have in the classroom?
6. What are the opportunities for free play for the reception year?
7. How much time do the older children spend away from the younger ones, to work on topics suited to their age?
8. Do they sit KS1 SATs?
9. What is their % level scores at the end of KS1?
10. How do they differentiate for G&T and SEN?

I think there are pros and cons to both schools. You should definitely look at both and find out the answers for the 2 schools. Whilst the small school may feel warm and welcoming can it offer your child what they need in terms of their education? Will it still suit him when he is the oldest in the class? My son is very shy and his school has a 90 pupil per year intake. I chose the school because it was great, not because of the size. Your child is still going to have nearly 30 pupils in his class, they will just all be older than him. Read the Ofsted reports for both schools before you visit. Good luck, it is a hard decision

ozzy10
06-05-2013, 08:45 PM
Thanks everyone.

Got a good idea of what to ask and look out for!

It is a very small school but then so is the other by the size of some of yours as that has an intake of 30 a year.

Lunch I know they can have a cooked meal, just need to find how many have it as its cooked at the bigger school and taxied to the smaller school as they have no kitchen!

ozzy10
07-05-2013, 05:58 PM
Went really well. I loved the school.

The teachers were all lovely too (all 3 of them! )

And saw an old mindee said hello to her then heard her say 'she used to look after me before school she's really nice and kind we had lots of fun :D made my day!