PDA

View Full Version : Refusing to sign permission slips

mrsjohn
02-05-2013, 09:05 PM
Hi everyone,
If anyone could give me some advise, I have a parent that won't sign some permission slips, outings and swimming. Hence other children are missing out cos I can't take that child out. Advise and how to work round this or change the parents mind.

FussyElmo
02-05-2013, 09:11 PM
If they dont sign my permissions they dont get a contract.

MessybutHappy
02-05-2013, 09:14 PM
Perhaps explain that on the days this type of outing is planned you won't be able to provide care? If you give enough notice and explain why? Also, what are their reasons for not signing? This may help you to find a solution?

Emra81
02-05-2013, 09:14 PM
How odd! Are they refusing to sign all permissions or just some things? What reason are they giving?

tulip0803
02-05-2013, 09:18 PM
I would not be able to care for a child that I did not have permissions signed for outings. I would accept that the parent did not want me to take their children swimming though and arrange to go elsewhere.

Memina
02-05-2013, 09:20 PM
I had a parent refuse to sign permission for using large play equipment for example park apparatus. I explained that was fine but I would still go to the park with the others but until permission signed she would have to sit by my side.

Parent soon realised that they where being unreasonable.

mrsjohn
02-05-2013, 09:21 PM
SO am not allowed to take the child swimming( indoor pool) because it is too cold (April ) and the child might get a chest infection as he is appartently prone too them. I can't bath either (stays overnight with me) no cold food or drinks again because of chest infections. All drinks need to be heated in the microwave. Has to have hat and gloves on outside, even in this weather..... I am trying to be diplomatic.... It's just not sinking in.

MessybutHappy
02-05-2013, 09:46 PM
I never got specific permission for children to use the stuff in the parks...should I?

And, back to the OP, nothing cold? So the child can't have an ice cream? Odd, unless theres more to it, but warm drinks etc and wearing hats hardly prevents a trip to a zoo or the park, so how come they won't sign???

Goodness, I thought I had a trying mum, this sounds very over the top, poor you having to deal with this.

Emra81
02-05-2013, 09:49 PM
And I'm guessing you have to make sure the cotton wool this poor little thing is wrapped in stays pristine while you're at it!

Sarsar3NCH
02-05-2013, 09:55 PM
I'm not sure I could work with a parent that is this unreasonable. It would drive me insane and is not fair on the other children and surely it would then be difficult to fulfil all the outcomes for children?

supermumy
02-05-2013, 10:01 PM
So she doesn't want her child on any outings or trips? Or play equipment
Doesn't want cold food or pools hat and gloves in this wether really?
Not sure I would carry on if she wouldn't sign permission forms

littlemiss60561
02-05-2013, 10:18 PM
How can this be healthy? Infections like these are airborne and are not related to getting cold. Can you say it will effect the other children if they are kept in? ask for the medical proof on this being necessary ? Fresh air is far better than staying inside and spreading germs! Bacteria love the warm right?
My ds had pneumonia twice and I was told to get him out and about. Bizarre . I personally would have to say good bye. Each to their own of course, and parent styles vary. But it would effect my setting way to much.

charlottenash
02-05-2013, 10:25 PM
Send them off to a nursery or other CMs and they will soon see the reality of nobody taking them on when they are this unreasonable! It's bonkers. Swimming is the only one I can understand.

mrsjohn
02-05-2013, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the advise everyone.
Just to make it clear they won't sign
Bathing
Paddling pool
Swimming

I don't want to end the contract as I feel parents need educating but think I might have too as it is disrupting my other children
Just hope that doesn't lead to a discrimation suit... :/

mrsjohn
02-05-2013, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the advise, I think it is not healthy for the child, but don't want to end the contract as I feel the parents need educating but I think I will have too. It's ok rearrange swimming, but picnics are put of the question.
The child is 7 by the way.

blue bear
03-05-2013, 06:47 AM
If its for medical evasions then ask her to get a letter from the gp because as it stand you cannot possibly let a child wear hat and gloves in this weather he would be baking and it's dangerous.

Personally having a son who suffers terribly with chest infections from a few days old I think she is barking and would be having a change of circumstances having already advertised and filled the space.

bunyip
03-05-2013, 07:37 AM
Well, the parent has a right to refuse permission for anything, BUT that may mean you having to politely explain that it is impossible for you to provide the precise sort of care she requires within your setting.

OK, so you could drop the outings, swimming, etc. altogether - or adapt them, according to the sort of things this mum would be OK with, or do different outings. But then the other parents' views come into play, not to mention your own views on what represents a good service. The new mum has to understand she can't run your provision wholly around her child. If the swimming trips are an important part of your service, then stopping them means providing a reduced service, and you're entirely justified in saying, "no - I'm not got to reduce the quality of what I offer."

If you feel the mum's conditions can potentially cause an issue with the child's welfare (and I wouldn't force a lo to wear hat and gloves in warm weather for that very reason) then you just cannot do it. Irrespective of the parents' wishes, we are still responsible for the child's welfare whilst in our care.

This sounds like another case where mum needs to be referred to a nanny.........or Social Services..............or the psychiatric nurse. :p

supermumy
03-05-2013, 08:13 AM
I didn't relise it just for swimming water so really there's nothing wrong with that??
If the child is prone to cheat infections bad I would do the same too!
I thought you said she wouldn't sign any permission slips maybe I miss understood lol :)

Optimalstar
03-05-2013, 08:29 AM
If the child's 7 then I'd assume they're at school, school won't warm up drinks surely. So he must have cold drinks there.

hectors house
03-05-2013, 08:46 AM
Does this child attend full time in the school holidays? - if not I would just plan swimming on days he doesn't attend and still have out paddling pool but he isn't allowed to go in it after all he is old enough to know not to get in fully clothed - maybe just offer water play with a water tray instead. It does seem that this parent has some strange ideas regarding hot drinks etc, but within her rights not to allow you to take child swimming.

MiniKins
03-05-2013, 10:28 AM
I can't say we've ever come up against a situation like this that so severely limits your weekly routine!

Obviously, when you think about it, all permission forms are a choice for the parent to agree or disagree, and the fact that you are seeking their permission gives them the option to decline ~ one just assumes it's going to be something more manageable such as withholding permission to use pictures in your literature etc.

I think parents are often 'swayed' when selecting childminders by the activities offered, and I would suggest that regular swimming outings may well be the reason why some have chosen you ~ it certainly would appeal to me ~ I see it as an important healthy sport and think you might have a few disconcerted parents should you have to curtail this activity.

I would have thought mum would have had some indication of your outdoor activities and discussed her concerns at interview before making her choice to use your setting.

As mentioned in this thread, permission forms are an ancillary part of the contract and perhaps rather than compromise your business, it might be best if mum looked elsewhere to accommodate her.