PDA

View Full Version : How do I legally stand not charging my friend

sherylhughes
02-05-2013, 06:40 AM
I am going through the process of childminding I've just completed my first aid and just about to start my cpop5,
My question is I have a really close friend I will only have her children for 7 hours each week in the school holidays , we help each other out in lots of ways ,how do I stand with of stead and been self employed the youngest is 5 oldest is 9, I understand that the youngest will b part of my numbers, will I still have to have a contract with her, and how would I declare her as a non payer,
My other question is food??? If I charge the parents for meals can you then claim it back thru personal expenses, I'm glad to be childminding, but feeling a little nervous about ofstead,I'm not rushing the process as I want to get it right, my daughter is now my guinea pig, doing lots of observations all ready for ofstead. I keep telling myself the registering is the hardest part, I hope I'm right lol.
Any advise would b great thanks.

sing-low
06-05-2013, 10:19 AM
You need to look at the Ofsted factsheet Childminding Between Friends:
Ofsted | Factsheet: childcare - Childminding between friends (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/factsheet-childcare-childminding-between-friends)

Not sure about the other stuff, I'm not experienced enough. Good luck with the course and registration!

Rachel

christine e
06-05-2013, 01:53 PM
Not sure how your public liability would stand if you didn't charge because not sure if it would technically be childminding if you didn't charge

blue bear
06-05-2013, 08:23 PM
surely if you have a contract to provide childminding services you are covered by insurance. the fee needs to be clear on the contract so in this case would be nil.
i cant see why you wouldn't be covered as that would mean we are not covered when parents pay in arrears or are late paying.
with the meals you can either keep the receipts and put the cost through that way or work out a reasonable fee for each meal, don't include the cost of cooking etc as you claim gas and electricity separately.

The Juggler
06-05-2013, 09:02 PM
i would charge her a nominal fee for expenses (food/outings) stated in the contract. Then, in your expenses you put what it actually costs you to care for them. :thumbsup: