PDA

View Full Version : Ratio's (again, sorry)

halor
28-04-2013, 02:21 PM
Ofsted have allowed me to look after 5 under 8's as I live in a small home. 2 afternoons a week I am full as my 2 children fall into the number.

However a lo I look after in the mornings may need some afternoons too including the ones I'm full. U know i can count her as a variation in regards to under 5's for continuity of care. I'm not however sure about the numbers. Ofsted says that variations are fine as along as you don't go over 6 in number. Would this still count for me or do you think that I should always stay 5 and under if that makes sense.

I'm trying to help the parents out but I'm concerned about going over physical numbers when I'm not allowed to.

christine e
28-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Ofsted have allowed me to look after 5 under 8's as I live in a small home. 2 afternoons a week I am full as my 2 children fall into the number.

However a lo I look after in the mornings may need some afternoons too including the ones I'm full. U know i can count her as a variation in regards to under 5's for continuity of care. I'm not however sure about the numbers. Ofsted says that variations are fine as along as you don't go over 6 in number. Would this still count for me or do you think that I should always stay 5 and under if that makes sense.

I'm trying to help the parents out but I'm concerned about going over physical numbers when I'm not allowed to.

Is there anything on your certificate saying that you can only care for 5 under 8s?

FussyElmo
28-04-2013, 02:27 PM
I would say that if you were given the restriction of 5 then you need to stick to 5.

Cant see how you could go over this number just like its a no go to go over the 6 under 8 :thumbsup:

phoenix2010
28-04-2013, 02:28 PM
You cannot go over 5 under 8s if that is what OFSTED has given you , and this includes your own children

does that help

Variations are for children falling within a different age bracket not for having more than the total number of children that you are allowed

so you are only allowed 3 children under 5 , but for certain circumstances you can vary that to 4 , however the total number of children under 8 must always be 5 or under

phoenix2010
28-04-2013, 02:31 PM
ok having said all that Im now not sure

do you have the new type of certificate that removes restrictions but refers you to the guidelines on the OFSTED website

if there is nothing on your certificate that states your max is 5 children under 8 then I would think you are to be guided by the conditions of all childminders according to OFSTED

blue bear
28-04-2013, 02:49 PM
You are now governed by the square footage you have available as per the revised eyfs, the square footage needed per child has not changed so if you were restricted because of the size of your property prior to the revised eyfs coming it then you cannot increase your numbers.

The increase per under fives for continuity of care is still available to you but if your property size has not increased then you need to stay with the original restriction of five under eight.

phoenix2010
28-04-2013, 02:54 PM
You are now governed by the square footage you have available as per the revised eyfs, the square footage needed per child has not changed so if you were restricted because of the size of your property prior to the revised eyfs coming it then you cannot increase your numbers.

The increase per under fives for continuity of care is still available to you but if your property size has not increased then you need to stay with the original restriction of five under eight.

I was restricted initially due to the size of my house , although nobody ever measured it

When I had my 6 month OFSTED inspection I asked the inspector to change this and she did , so i could then have 6

She didnt measure my house either , so what the heck they based their restrictions on i have no idea

So check and see what square footage you have , it may be that you can have more

halor
28-04-2013, 03:19 PM
Thanks all, I was hoping there was a way round it but I had a feeling there wasn't.

Phoenix - Mrs O actually measured the space in my livinf room as that is the only living space downstairs :(