PDA

View Full Version : Orbit web site

sunflower
27-04-2013, 10:54 AM
Hi Sorry not been on here for ages, i dont seam to get a moment to myself these days.
I was wondering your views on the website Orbit - is it worth using or are there other better ones to help with EYFS paperwork?

Rick
27-04-2013, 11:05 AM
I really like it. It keeps all your obs/assessmments/photos together and you simply print off when you are ready to stick in the learning journal. Otherwise you can have photos/obs lying about the place and then it just seems like sure a chore to sort out.

It also shows working with other settings as you can invite childrens' parents and other settings and they can see your obs as soon as you press save.

I use my iPad to upload a photo and then write a sentence. Later on I can select the area of development and statement. Put some next steps in and you're done.

sunflower
28-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Thank you for your reply Rick_knight
i am going to give Orbit a try x

phoenix2010
28-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Ive been using it since september

its great and does save time once you get the hang of it

I use it to create a learning journey and the parents like the fact they can log in and see recent pics all the time

just one thing I dont like , the evaluation area is great but I spent an hour doing a childs termly assessment once and lost my work , so Ive now created my own document based on the orbit template which I save on my pc and use that now

Rick
28-04-2013, 03:33 PM
Ive been using it since september

its great and does save time once you get the hang of it

I use it to create a learning journey and the parents like the fact they can log in and see recent pics all the time

just one thing I dont like , the evaluation area is great but I spent an hour doing a childs termly assessment once and lost my work , so Ive now created my own document based on the orbit template which I save on my pc and use that now

Yes I've not used the evaluation section and have always done my own (possibly because it was a feature that came in after I started using Orbit and just stuck with the way I was doing it). I noticed you couldn't print out the evaluation, probably another reason why I don't use it. They might have sorted it out now :D

phoenix2010
28-04-2013, 04:12 PM
Yes I've not used the evaluation section and have always done my own (possibly because it was a feature that came in after I started using Orbit and just stuck with the way I was doing it). I noticed you couldn't print out the evaluation, probably another reason why I don't use it. They might have sorted it out now :D

You can print it out but it comes uot weird , not in a friendly format

and another reason I prefer to make my own , although I thought their layout was perfect so stole it ( "shhhh dont tell anyone )

I like parents to take it home , share it with nursery/ HV / other carers and I send a feedback form home with it too

hopefully Ive attached it

Rick
28-04-2013, 05:47 PM
You can print it out but it comes uot weird , not in a friendly format

and another reason I prefer to make my own , although I thought their layout was perfect so stole it ( "shhhh dont tell anyone )

I like parents to take it home , share it with nursery/ HV / other carers and I send a feedback form home with it too

hopefully Ive attached it

They must have sorted the printing out then. When I queried it they said they were looking into it. Makes sense really, there's not much you can do without printing it out!

I do the same. I send home a pack of info including summative assessment, learning journal, feedback form and 'other settings' form so parents can let me know if anything has changed at home, any wow moments, new interests etc.

phoenix2010
28-04-2013, 08:38 PM
at the time i just used my browser to print page
it just took a screen shot , hence why it looked rubbish and unusable
ive asked them to sort it out too
they do get round to things eventually :thumbsup: