PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!

lor
25-04-2013, 08:11 PM
Hi can anyone help??
Not sure what to do, am currently looking after a 3yr old and his 1yr old sister
Mum has just been given a nursery place for sept 12.30-3.30
my problem is this I work with my sister and nephew/neice the nursery is not exactly local - my youngest daughter goes to school nearby so it would mean
4 trips (up steep hill) other children that we care for to consider -rushing back from playgroups days out etc rushing lunch
even just typing this out I know it isnt what I want to do :0(
And I dont think I can offer a discount- its more work not less, the trouble is I dont know how to tell mum there a lovely family and I would like to help but I feel everyone else will suffer.

Any advice appreciated xxx

VeggieSausage
25-04-2013, 08:22 PM
no don't do it, explain you could not care for the other children who you have a duty of care to, and that you are sorry etc, they might come up with a solution, you never know....

clareelizabeth1
25-04-2013, 08:22 PM
I think you will just have to sit her down say what you have written here and I'm sure she will understand. She might even decide not to send lo to pre school or you might find something else that might work. As she's a nice parent I'm sureu will be able to work something out.

shortstuff
25-04-2013, 08:31 PM
as the others have said, just be open and honest as to what you are thinking and feeling. Maybe you can come up with a solution that suits you all.

sskent08
25-04-2013, 08:32 PM
I think some times we have to look at is it worth it?

I looked after two brothers offered sibling discount, I had to pick the older brother up from pre-school in the next village, I didn't charge petrol for this, at the end of it wasn't work the hassle of going out of my way, petrol, time rushing with the other children

I was trying too hard, and yet it was causing me so much stress

you will be worn out and you may resent doing it, really think about how much you are putting in and what you are getting out!

mrstom
26-04-2013, 06:21 AM
You need to have a good long think about it. Personally I wouldn't take on any lunchtime pick ups/drop offs (particularly if it's a long walk away).

I have to collect my own son from preschool (10min walk away) at 1pm two days a week and it makes those days really hard - mindees need to nap around 12.00 and I have to wait until we get back before I can put them down. Unfortunately this means they often fall asleep on the way back, they don't sleep for long in a buggy and are tired and grumpy all afternoon! Come September when DS goes into reception I'm definitely not take on any more midday pickups. They muck up my day too much!

Koala
26-04-2013, 07:01 AM
What a cerfuffle.

If you can't/don't want to do it, and I wouldn't blame you, tell mum now I am sure she will understand you can't be everywhere and do everything.

I personally do not do any school or nursery runs basically because I don't want to. It's your business and your life so you have to make it work for YOU!

Be true to yourself! :thumbsup: because everybody else is :D

lor
27-04-2013, 10:30 PM
Thanks for all the advice xx
don't think I'm gonna do it but hate feeling like I'm letting people down - like to think I'm the solution to family childcare problems
let you know what I decide got till Monday to think about it!!!
xx

CLL
28-04-2013, 06:19 AM
Thanks for all the advice xx
don't think I'm gonna do it but hate feeling like I'm letting people down - like to think I'm the solution to family childcare problems
let you know what I decide got till Monday to think about it!!!
xx

Can you not offer her the free 15 hours funded place as an alternative to nursery? That way you have something to offer and it is her choice if she decides to go elsewhere. Or maybe if you know another cm in the area who would take on both boys, that you could recommend?

lor
28-04-2013, 12:42 PM
After finding out (on here) that I dont have to be an accredited childminder (am graded good) I may be able to offer the 15 hrs
will chase up my LA.

Thanks everyone
xx