PDA

View Full Version : Foundation degree

RuthJ
24-04-2013, 02:57 PM
Just heard I've got an interview for the Early Childhood Foundation Degree with my local university on Friday. They're doing it by telephone in the evening - how accommodating!

Wish me luck!!

manjay
24-04-2013, 05:11 PM
Good luck Ruth:thumbsup:

Is it Glyndwr?

oxfordshirecm
24-04-2013, 05:25 PM
Ooh good luck. I'm hopefully starting the foundation degree via the open university :)

sarah707
24-04-2013, 05:29 PM
Good luck! :clapping:

RuthJ
24-04-2013, 06:50 PM
Good luck Ruth:thumbsup:

Is it Glyndwr?

Yes it is manjay - you inspired me!

Thanks all, will let you know how I get on. xx

LittleVoice
24-04-2013, 07:22 PM
I have 8 more weeks before I finish my foundation degree and i have to say i think it was one of the best decisions i ever made. I will most definately be topping up to my BA (HONS) and then after that I will have to find something else to study as I can safely say I now have the studying bug!

Good luck with your interview on Friday. :)

Sarsar3NCH
24-04-2013, 07:26 PM
Littlevoice can I ask how much time you have spent on your degree on a weekly/monthly basis?

The Juggler
25-04-2013, 11:09 AM
good luck. you will love the course :clapping:

manjay
25-04-2013, 12:07 PM
Yes it is manjay - you inspired me!

Thanks all, will let you know how I get on. xx

Fantastic:thumbsup:

The tutors are lovely so your interview will be a piece of cake and the course has evolved fantastically since we started as the guinea pigs. All level 4. 5 and 6 students attend the same study day so we should be able to meet up as I will still be attending the first two next year. Oh and always happy to proof read if needed:thumbsup:

RuthJ
25-04-2013, 01:06 PM
Fantastic:thumbsup:

The tutors are lovely so your interview will be a piece of cake and the course has evolved fantastically since we started as the guinea pigs. All level 4. 5 and 6 students attend the same study day so we should be able to meet up as I will still be attending the first two next year. Oh and always happy to proof read if needed:thumbsup:

I spoke to one of the tutors on the phone a few weeks ago and she sounded lovely. Would be great to meet you there! And thanks for your proof reading offer too, I'm sure i'll be taking you up on it :) I'm a bit scared!!!! X

emma04
25-04-2013, 06:18 PM
I have 8 more weeks before I finish my foundation degree and i have to say i think it was one of the best decisions i ever made. I will most definately be topping up to my BA (HONS) and then after that I will have to find something else to study as I can safely say I now have the studying bug!

Good luck with your interview on Friday. :)

I finish in June too and begin my top-up in September. I have also studied for 5 GCSE's this academic year too and my exams are next month. Total drain on my life since last September, but will be worth it. I'm going on to do a PGCE eventually so that I can become a primary school teacher. It was my dream when I was 5 years old, but was pants at school (too easily distracted.....ie. naughty!) hence the jam packed study at the age of 35!

GOOD luck to OP on interview, Its a fab course!

RuthJ
26-04-2013, 09:57 PM
Well the interview turned out to be more of a chat, which went really well and i've got on the course! :D
The tutor sounds lovely and the course sounds great :clapping: Thanks for all your good luck vibes xx

Supernanny86
26-04-2013, 10:36 PM
Glad you got on the course you wanted!! Well done you!!

Kx

muddybootskids
26-04-2013, 10:42 PM
I did the foundation degree at Hackney college for 2 yrs then went to London met and did the BA It was really full on and I had times where I wanted to give up (working full time and a part time job traveling from Essex to London everyday) but I did it and would never look back!!! One of the hardest yet best things I ever did!! :) good luck and if I can be if any help give me a shout! X

partyrings
28-04-2013, 10:07 PM
I am 3 weeks away from finishing my first year...definitely the hardest but best thing I have started. Good luck :)

oxfordshirecm
29-04-2013, 07:14 AM
Can I ask how much time each week everyone dedicated to doing the degree? I'm going to be it through OU so want to set my self realistic goals it

partyrings
29-04-2013, 07:47 AM
Due to me attending uni the deadlines are different. But on the whole I attend every mon 7-9pm and some thursdays 7-9pm. Study during the week ranges from 2 hours a night, but leading up deadlines the hours can increase to 6 per day. Weekends are gone a few weeks before deadline. sounds alot but the end of my semester is in May and do not start again to Sept for year two...so I get alot of time off! Well lots of reading time :) it is worth it and the amount of knowledge you learn is amazing. Good luck :)

oxfordshirecm
29-04-2013, 07:58 AM
Thank you partyrings - as I won't have the pressure of deadlines I want to make sure I still complete it as if I do. So this has given me some idea :)

Tiny Trees
01-05-2013, 05:15 AM
Thank you partyrings - as I won't have the pressure of deadlines I want to make sure I still complete it as if I do. So this has given me some idea :)

Studying with the OU is still full of deadlines- pretty much all of the courses have Tutor Marked Assignments scattered throughout which count towards the final assessment marks. The only difference between the OU and a normal uni is that you don't have to travel anywhere for the majority of the time and so can study when you can. There is still a study planner which tells you week by week what you should be doing.

I think if anything OU study is more demanding than other units because you need to be motivated in order to succeed- you need to stay focused and do the work, even if other things at home are more appealing/need doing.

Optimalstar
01-05-2013, 08:10 AM
I studied with the OU for my degree and I'd recommend getting ahead by about a month so you've breathing space if you've an emergency. I used to start the minute I received the materials. I'd follow the planner but adjust he dates to reflect when I started, if that makes sense. It allowed for a little more breathing space ahead of deadlines too.

I studied for my PGCE in a brick university and missed having everything I needed at the start like with the OU. We got some things ahead of time but on a termly/phase basis not course/year basis.

busybee_mummy
01-05-2013, 12:09 PM
I did my ba hons through the ou, and even though it was the best thing I've done it was really hard to juggle, family, work, home and life!

The ou is based on deadlines and they give you a timetable to follow, like already suggested get ahead, I always read my books etc before units started. That is were its more flexible than a brick uni as you have everything at the beginning!

I used to set aside 9am-3 pm monday, 7:30pm-9:30pm Wednesday and Thurs and weekends off unless close to deadline and it was every evening. My tutorials were saturdays or Tuesday evening (once a month).

Good luck x

oxfordshirecm
01-05-2013, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the comments (and sorry for hijacking op) I was nervous about doing it through the ou and the nvq I did in a similar way and was worried I wouldn't have deadlines etc to keep me focused. Did those who did it through the ou have a long summer off too? I know it's going to be hard but if I don droit through ou then I wouldn't be able to do it as have to work 10 hours a day Monday to Friday :( x

Smiley
01-05-2013, 07:37 PM
I did all mine up to BA (Hons) Early Years with the OU and recommended to other childminders who have also completed or are currently still studying with the OU. As others have said there are deadlines as assignments have to be submitted by specific dates. I didn't have a definite number of hours study per week,it really depends how you learn and certainly around assignments due dates the hours can be substantial but burning the midnight oil becomes second nature :laughing:

It certainly takes dedication due to juggling work, family etc
Good luck

LittleVoice
01-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Littlevoice can I ask how much time you have spent on your degree on a weekly/monthly basis?

Sorry for the delay, its been a hectic week.

I attend my local uni 1 evening a week Wed 5-8pm and we also have to attend 6 days a year (1 day 9.30-3.30) per module.
As for individual study I aim for around 10-15 hours a week. Some weeks it is dramatically less due to one thing or another but it evens itself ou a little. I have been diagnosed as being dyspraxic and with that it takes me a lottle longer to understand what I am reading (especially in the 2nd yr) however with planning what im going to do and when I got there. My lowest mark has been 69 so if you're prepared to put the hours in it is worth it.
I have worked full time and I hvae 2 young children too who were only 27mths and 3 months old when I started.

I have also studied with the Open Uni and am currently doing DB123 alongside my current course. I love the flexiability of the OU in that you get all your course materials at the start. This way you can do more study when you need to and less when your busy. I get fantastic support from the brick uni I attend but I have had to fight for it whereas the support from the OU was tremendous from the start. As previously mentioned you get a calendar form the OU which details what need to be done and by when which is fantasic.

As for which i'd recommend, if you have the motivation to be able to study of fyour own back go for the OU module. x

Tiny Trees
01-05-2013, 10:39 PM
I get no summer off at all- I started last June and haven't had a break since, andwon't until autumn 2015 when I finish :panic: just how my modules work out. Closest thing I have for a break is 30 credits between November and Feb this year- then it is a minimum of 90 credits at a time.

oxfordshirecm
02-05-2013, 06:36 AM
This thread has been so useful thank you all- I'm so excited to start now. Want to start it now but the OU course doesn't start till October- so going to enjoy the last Summer off for a while :) x