PDA

View Full Version : National Insurance dispute - advice welcomed

bunyip
24-04-2013, 10:49 AM
Any comments/advice on this situation?

I'm in dispute with HMRC over a payment I made in respect of NI class 2 contributions, but HMRC have not received the money.

I was billed last October for class 2 NI, period April-October 2012. I paid this early in November, in full, with a cheque at the Post Office, as per the instructions which came with the bill. I have now received the latest NI bill from HMRC for the period October 2012 - April 2013, but it shows the previous period (April-October 2012) as unpaid and still owing. I 'phoned to query this, and HMRC say they have no record of my payment and so I still owe them the money. They asked me to send photocopies of my proof of payment but will not guarantee to accept it as proof, since the money has not reached their account.

I have the printout from the Post Office's TransCash/Santander system which shows all the details, including the correct credit account number for HMRC - so I can't see how the money cannot have reached them. The only thing is that the sub-postmaster at the time insisted it would all be done electronically and refused to take the bank giro slip which accompanied the cheque.

As far as I can tell, this is the audit trail. The cheque cleared my account 2 days after being payed to the Post Office Ltd. The Post Office says the funds will have been transferred from their account to the account of TransCash/Santander. It seems to have stopped there, cos HMRC say they haven't received it. presumably it has been sitting in some sort of escrow or holding account at Santander???

I seem to be caught in a rather powerless situation. HMRC won't accept that I've paid until they get the money, but I can't make Transcash/Santander move it cos I have no direct dealings with them. The Post Office won't refund me: they say they've fulfilled their responsibility to forward the payment to Transcash/Santander, and they can't do any more to make Transcash/Santander forward it to HMRC. (This is made worse by the fact that the numpty sub-postmaster who dealt with me in November no longer runs the Post Office, and the current owners have absolutely no incentive to sort this out for me.) :(

I believe HMRC have a complaints/appeals process, but it is an internal unit so are they really going to uphold a complaint from me? :( It's still at an early stage, as I only sent the paperwork in yesterday. But does anyone know how I might expect things to progress and if there is anything I can do? I have a nasty feeling I'm going to be caught in between 3 big stubborn organisations and be forced to pay my NI contributions twice. :)

Mouse
24-04-2013, 11:03 AM
Sorry, no advice, but how infuriating :angry:

Could you risk not paying the outstanding amount (which isn't really outstanding) and let them take it further? Before they could take proceedings too far (ie. before it got to court) I assume they would have to fully investigate your insistence that the money has been paid? They might not be willing to do it at this early stage, but if the case is taken further, surely they would have to investigate it? Maybe non-payment is a way to get past the first stage departments that really couldn't care less and get yourself into the investigations department where it's there job to sort things out?

hectors house
24-04-2013, 11:36 AM
Hope you find a way to sort this out quickly and without you having to pay NI again - my husband pays mine through on line banking now and that seems to work ok.

Chatterbox Childcare
24-04-2013, 11:54 AM
Wow what a muddle

My opinion on this is:

1. Pay the HMRC again - it isn't their fault that your payment hasn't got to them and then at least you have them off your back

2. Write to the post office and the holding bank and ask where you money is

3. You have legal representation - use it!

Did you know that if you take legal cover with your house and car then a solicitor will act on your behalf for any matter, not just those connected with accidents?

Good luck as it may take a while to sort

Kirstylob
24-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Has the payment got lost in cyber space? Sometimes if a number is wrong or some other problem the payment can leave one account but not be quite right and not go into the intended account and just sits somewhere. Maybe you could ask them to.check.the account details and see if there.is an error there somewhere?
Good luck.

The Juggler
24-04-2013, 01:05 PM
i was in a similar predicament before but with Air Canada not HMRC. I got nowhere with Air Canada and nowhere with phoning my bank customer service. In the end I went to my local branch of my bank and demanded to speak to the manager and have her sort it out. Job done - in 5 mins.

I'd give it a go hon.

sarah707
24-04-2013, 05:40 PM
The money must be somewhere!

If it's left your account then someone must have it... so go back on the paper trail... your account -> another account -> what's in between?

I wouldn't pay again I would sit down with the bank first and see if they can help.

x

bunyip
25-04-2013, 07:11 AM
The money must be somewhere!

If it's left your account then someone must have it... so go back on the paper trail... your account -> another account -> what's in between?

I wouldn't pay again I would sit down with the bank first and see if they can help.

x

When the system works, the trail is:

Bunyip's cheque > Post Office Ltd. > TranCash (= Santander bank) > HMRC

Post Office won't refund me. They no longer have the money and say they fulfilled their responsibility when they transferred it to TransCash/Santander.

Santander won't talk to me cos I don't have an account and this transaction doesn't involve any direct contact between them and me. They claim they can only act in response to Post Office Ltd. or HMRC.

HMRC have said they'll look into it once they have copies of my receipt, etc. but aren't making any promises.

:(