PDA

View Full Version : Inspection help please very confused !!!

leenie
23-04-2013, 02:21 PM
Hi my friend has had here ofsted inspection today and it has left us both very confused so I am hoping someone can clarify a few issues pls
I had my inspection a few months ago and the one thing I was worried about was my learning journels of the children and the way I link up what stage they are at now and what I can do to progress to that next stage , however my ofsted lady was really impressed with the learning journels and said they were brilliant and although one of the children were not present taht day she said from them she felt she knew the child and gave me outstanding on that part of it
My friend has had here inspection today has done the same as me and has got slated for them and only given satisfactory she said that parents also need to imput at what the children do at home and what stage they are at now parents have put little comments in the journals but none of the parents want to go into depth like that for ofsted and also my grandaughter goes to a nursery that are given outstanding every year and my daughter has no learning journal coming home with her also no imput asked in writing what stage she is at home and what they have done and neither does another nursery that my mindee goes to so why is that we are required to do this , and have all this imput from parents and they don't can someone please help as we are both really confused .I am so sorry its so long winded and hope I have put it in a way that people will understand thankyou x

FussyElmo
23-04-2013, 02:47 PM
Was it a different inspector?

Sometimes it can be as simple as inconsistency of inspectors :(

hectors house
23-04-2013, 02:59 PM
Maybe someone else with more experience will be along soon to advise you - but I think your friend should write and complain about the differing expectations of inspectors "who inspects the inspectors"? I am not sure if she should complain immediately or whether she needs to wait until she receives the report in writing.

sarah707
23-04-2013, 04:48 PM
If you and your friend do exactly the same type of learning Journey files for the children and you got outstanding and she got satisfactory - and there really isn't anything different between them - then something has obviously gone wrong with your friend's inspection and she needs to question the outcome.

Different inspectors do look for different things but that sort of difference of opinion needs challenging.

Hugs to your friend xx

leenie
23-04-2013, 05:45 PM
If you and your friend do exactly the same type of learning Journey files for the children and you got outstanding and she got satisfactory - and there really isn't anything different between them - then something has obviously gone wrong with your friend's inspection and she needs to question the outcome.

Different inspectors do look for different things but that sort of difference of opinion needs challenging.

Hugs to your friend xx

Thankyou all for replies I just feel really downhearted as well and am worried that I am doing something wrong as well, its never right that 1 organisation can make you feel so full of dread of them x

SYLVIA
23-04-2013, 07:23 PM
My LJ are set out how we were shown on a workshop run by an outstanding minder and how she did her own journals. My inspector told me that my next steps/planning was not good enough. One of the parents I minded for became a minder herself. When she showed her inspector the LJ she does, which are identical to mine she was told they were the best she had ever seen! I don't worry anymore as long as the parents like them as they are keepsakes for them at the end of the early years stage

leenie
23-04-2013, 07:42 PM
My LJ are set out how we were shown on a workshop run by an outstanding minder and how she did her own journals. My inspector told me that my next steps/planning was not good enough. One of the parents I minded for became a minder herself. When she showed her inspector the LJ she does, which are identical to mine she was told they were the best she had ever seen! I don't worry anymore as long as the parents like them as they are keepsakes for them at the end of the early years stage

Thankyou for your reply it sounds like the same has happened to us both that a few months ago my inspector was so immpresed with my learning journals and even though one of my mindes was not with me that day she felt like she knew the child well from it and what development he was at, but my friend today has done exactly the same and only got graded satisfactory where I got graded outstanding so you have made us feel better as I was doubting my ability as well xx

lizann
23-04-2013, 08:05 PM
Hugs to your friend my last inspector was awfull and I got down graded wont go into details but everyone I spoke to said I should have complained ...at the time I was minding part time just before and after school and looking after my father during the day who sadly died 4 months later...so didnt bother when I read my report it was more or less identical to the previous inspection will be up to the mark next time

The Juggler
23-04-2013, 08:44 PM
Was it a different inspector?

Sometimes it can be as simple as inconsistency of inspectors :(

unfortunately. however, if this were me and your LJ's really are of the same standard I would go back to ofsted if I were you friend and question this judgement given the comments you had.

leenie
24-04-2013, 07:18 AM
unfortunately. however, if this were me and your LJ's really are of the same standard I would go back to ofsted if I were you friend and question this judgement given the comments you had.

She is going to she has been told to just wait till she gets the full report and then will question it all thankyou

munch149
24-04-2013, 09:31 AM
I only got satisfactory on my first inspection due to the inspector I had and he has a reputation for only giving satisfactory to newbies. My network support worker however has said I am working at a much higher standard with outstanding elements. Take ofsted inspections with a pinch of salt. It has never stopped me getting children and all of there parents are happy therefore so am I.

SammySplodger
24-04-2013, 09:52 AM
I only got satisfactory on my first inspection due to the inspector I had and he has a reputation for only giving satisfactory to newbies. My network support worker however has said I am working at a much higher standard with outstanding elements. Take ofsted inspections with a pinch of salt. It has never stopped me getting children and all of there parents are happy therefore so am I.

Snap! I was told same by Mrs O in my first grading.
X