PDA

View Full Version : Child leaving soon-Learning Journey worry

Rubybaby
20-04-2013, 11:15 PM
Hello all!
I'm just getting mindee's LJ as up to date as possible as parents are emigrating after a year and a half with me(doing this with a lump in my throat as parents and child have been wonderful!).
I'm aware that it should all go with the child, but as I've not yet been inspected, I'm wondering if I can(with parental permission) photocopy various bits such as the 2 yr check,summative assessments and a few obs, etc, as evidence of how I work.
The parents have made quite a few comments on some of these, most of which show evidence of the child's progression and their own thoughts about it, and some are lovely and complimentary,so it would be something to show Ofsted in connection with working in partnership with parents even if the child had left the setting,although I know that technically they wouldn't be interested.

I should add that unless a new mindee arrives pretty quickly, I won't have any children on roll.
I was also thinking of taking out all the weekly play/activity planning (and mum has said they wouldn't want it all), and just retaining a bit of it in case of inspection.

I'd be interested to hear what other CM's would do in this situation..obviously there is no other setting involved: it's purely in case of inspection.
Thank you xx

blue bear
21-04-2013, 01:32 AM
No harm in photocopying bits but ofsted usually won't look or take into account things you have done with children who are no longer in your care. When ofsted ring if you have no children on roll they will ask you to ring them when you have unless it's at the end of the inspection cycle then they inspect you with no children on roll and you get no grade anyway (the current inspection cycle runs to 2016)

bindy
21-04-2013, 06:50 AM
I agree with Blue Bear. Ofsted will not even look at it. I have just had an inspection. They only wanted to see the work of the children who I had with me that day. They will come and inspect you, with no children, but you will get a low grading. Best to tell them, if they call, you have no children and would rather wait.

Maza
21-04-2013, 12:16 PM
I beg to differ. When I had my inspection my mindee had only been with me for six days. I had kept the LJ from my last mindee (with parental permission) and the inspector looked at it thoroughly. She said to thank the parents as it played a big part in me being graded outstanding. I had worked soooo hard on the journal and felt it would have been unfair to have not been allowed to use it as evidence. I posted it on to mum after my inspection as she too had moved away. x

Chatterbox Childcare
21-04-2013, 12:28 PM
You don't want an inspection without a child so if they call just tell them that you do not have anyone in the EY register and they will postpone.

loocyloo
21-04-2013, 12:31 PM
when i moved 2 yrs ago, i knew i was due an inspection within 6 mths on moving ( still hasn't happened :rolleyes: ) however, i also knew that i wasn't planning on working immediately, so the chances of having a LJ were slim, or at least it wouldn't have much in it.

with mums permission i had an entire LJ copied & bound, so that when i was inspected i had something to show what i usually did!

i know use it to show prospective parents

Rubybaby
22-04-2013, 05:55 PM
when i moved 2 yrs ago, i knew i was due an inspection within 6 mths on moving ( still hasn't happened :rolleyes: ) however, i also knew that i wasn't planning on working immediately, so the chances of having a LJ were slim, or at least it wouldn't have much in it.

with mums permission i had an entire LJ copied & bound, so that when i was inspected i had something to show what i usually did!

i know use it to show prospective parents

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this...I will call Ofsted if it happens that current mindee leaves without another having started, and explain that I have no children on roll.
Regarding the LJ..mum of current mindee suggested that I keep it as long as I need it after they have gone,passing it on to them at some point after inspection via friends of theirs, which solves the problem of copying and keeping/storing bits of it, and It will be here as evidence whether ofsted are interested or not!.

Maza and Loocyloo...I completely agree with you! I've spent so long and worked so hard on it that it does seem unfair for it not to be taken into account if your circumstances change!
Having said that, I could be worrying over nothing if inspection happens before mindee leaves...(at which point I'll be freaking out on the forum again!!)
xx

serin
22-04-2013, 07:05 PM
I had a new mindee with me when i was inspected. He was with me for 4 weeks so i had started the obs planning and assess but I couldnt prove that he had developed enough to get an outstanding. 4 weeks is simply not enough time. So if I had a previous mindee LJ I recon it would have helped with better gradings.

bindy
23-04-2013, 07:24 AM
I am going on my experience thats all! You may get lucky with an inspector who would look at LJ of a child that is no longer in your care! Thats the problem with inspectors, all a farrs if you ask me. My friends all had the same experience as me!