PDA

View Full Version : child off with chicken pox parent refusing to pay!

emily79
19-04-2013, 12:59 PM
We sent a child home yesterday due to chicken pox arriving we phoned at 3 pm parent didnt pick up until 6.30pm( they work an hour away)! Had a call this morning saying could they take today as holiday (as we charge half fees for holiday and they are entitled to 2 weeks) we usually ask for 4 weeks notice but as a good will gesture we said yes which is fine ,then they said they wanted to cancel and not pay for mon and tues as hes got to be off for at least 5 days as in our policy , in their contract we agreed due to their jobs (doctors) we would waive the late collection fees as they maybe late if they have an emergency (the child does 7.30am-7.30pm mon-fri and some weekend days if needed) his contract also states if their shifts are changed that if we have 24 hours notice he can come in late or be picked up early (not cancel days) and they only pay the hours they use although this rarely happens! we have asked them to pay the normal rate for monday and tuesday or we need to re view their contract to an as and when one (and if we cant fit him in they have to find alternative care) as we cant afford to lose 2 days fees at least due to him being ill it is not mine or my co-minders fault .Also we dont want them deciding one day that hes just not coming in for 2 weeks with no notice!
They are not happy with this so I have emailed them to say if they dont want to pay or change their contract they need to give notice am I being fair?

shortstuff
19-04-2013, 01:03 PM
personally i think you are being fair, you have offered options.

Do you have it in the contract about when LO is ill? Just wondered as you have gone in to a lot of detail about the hours but not mentioned this?

emily79
19-04-2013, 01:21 PM
yes it says they will have to pay the normal rate.

ziggy
19-04-2013, 01:35 PM
totally fair

is there something in the air this week, few of us having problems with parents paying???

wendywu
19-04-2013, 02:21 PM
Two doctors would be on a really really good income, so no way would i waive late pick ups. I would also charge for the time off with chicken poxs :panic:

Ripeberry
19-04-2013, 04:15 PM
They are taking the :censored: They have to pay the full rate (whatever it says in the contract) and if they take too long to pay, slap on a late payment charge. Why is it that the more people earn, the meaner they get? :mad:

hectors house
19-04-2013, 04:28 PM
You would have thought that being doctors they would understand the need for exclusions - they would have no qualms telling the mother of a poorly child to take the week off work to look after them at home but clearly object when they have to do the same - yes they have important jobs but don't we all in the grand scheme of things?

Koala
19-04-2013, 04:39 PM
If they don't pay, they are breaking the contract, ergo no childcare when the five days is up, simple.

Good luck to them finding someone as amiable and committed as you. I wouldn't do what you do, they are totally taking advantage and don't realise what a gem they have for their childcare.

daddydaycare
27-04-2013, 07:30 PM
I use a very simple policy that covers sickness, holidays or absense for any other reason

If I cannot provide the childcare or take time off then I do not get paid
If the child does not turn up for previously agreed hours, regardless of the reason, then the parent pays.

Keeps it simple!