PDA

View Full Version : Ahhhh soo confused!!!

sineadquinn
18-04-2013, 01:05 PM
Just when I thought I had my head around all these obs and planning I read more and get more confused. What do you guys do for your EYFS links? Do you just put the area eg PD or do you put PD - Can kick a large ball?

My current obs looks like this -

Date - 15/3/13
Age - 17 months

Observation - J enjoyed building a tower with large building blocks. He was able to build the tower 7 blocks high. J also enjoyed knocking over the tower and rebuilding it.

Next steps -

Encourage J to make a taller tower

Use other resources to build towers

EYFS links - ?????

Any help or pointers would be much appreciated. Thanks x

moggy
18-04-2013, 01:20 PM
EYFS links- I would put 'PD and PSED'.

That is it. Keep it simple.

Over a longer time frame I would look generally at all obs and look in more detail at age/stage as part of a progress review, but not for a single obs.
I do not use the sub-headings under the Areas, no point I think- I know why I put 'PD and PSED', for example and could discuss that with an inspector if needed.
I do not quote the examples in the EYFS left column, as there are not enough to cover everything a child does. Look at the child, not at DM!

sineadquinn
18-04-2013, 01:28 PM
Thank you for your reply. I think what's confusing me so much is that fact that its across 2 poss even 3 ages ranges the little boy I have comes under 8-20m also 16-26m but us also quite advanced in his pd so covering some stuff from 22-36 do I reference the age range? Thanks again. X

sineadquinn
20-04-2013, 03:06 PM
Anyone else mind sharing how they do there's? X

Sarsar3NCH
20-04-2013, 03:40 PM
I add the exact ref from dev matters I.e. can kick a large ball, I then mark off on the dev matters sheet that I have seen this. This way I get a picture of what obs I have seen and can easily see any areas missing from my obs. It may be that I simply haven't done an obs on that area or that we need to do some more activities relating to that area.
For example moving and handling, as I make off obs on a child I may notice that gross motor skills are in 30-50 but fine motor may be behind at 26-36, I can then look into reasons why and know this is an area to work on.

sarah707
20-04-2013, 04:07 PM
development Matters is not a tick list and cannot possibly contain reference to everything a child does or says - so you shouldn't spend ages looking for exact wording as you are unlikely to find it.

What you are looking for is 'best fit' links - using your skills and knowledge of child development to decide if the child is making good progress through the ages and stages.

So kicking a ball - yes it's PD - then look and see what DM suggests as the types of things the child might be doing at around the same time and that's your link.

Hth :D

Sarsar3NCH
20-04-2013, 05:33 PM
As Sarah says its best fit, what I said is probably misleading, the statements I add to my obs are linked as best I can to the dev matters statements so I know where the children are. I find they are worded much better in the revised EYFS than previously though

sineadquinn
21-04-2013, 01:11 PM
Thank you for your replies, I think I'm going to go with statements where I can then add what I think if it doesn't fit exactly. I wish the DM was a bit more generalised would make it easier. Thanks again

blue bear
21-04-2013, 02:33 PM
I keep it very simple, so:

johnny mixed two colours and made orange, he said "look I made orange" he was so proud of himself.
Link = ead
Next step = talk about johnny's growing interest in and use of colour as he begins to find differences between colours.

Also links to pd, c&l and psed.

You could add a quote from development matters next to the link so,

Link = ead - explores colours and how colours can be changed.

You could add age Bracket (30-50). I personally don't put age bracket on every obs as its very hard on those parents whose children are struggling to meet development targets but that's my personal choice.