PDA

View Full Version : Am I qualified?

redbase
18-04-2013, 10:22 AM
Hello
I have been a Early Years teacher (BEd Hons) for many years and prior to this was a Nursery Nurse with an NNEB certificate. I am now considering becoming a child minder and am wondering whether I will need to do any other course to qualify? I know I would have to do the Paediatric First Aid training but am not sure about any training in child care, seeing as I have the 2 qualifications mentioned above.

Nicola Carlyle
18-04-2013, 10:59 AM
Hi. I know in my area (wiltshire) regardless if all ither qualifications you still have to complete an course called "understand how to set a home based childcare service". The cost in our area is £150 and us fine in the evening once a week for two hours and it runs for 8 weeks approx.

tulip0803
18-04-2013, 11:04 AM
To register as a childminder you have to do a childminding course normally called the CYPOP5. This is in the regulations and no matter what qualifications you have you have to attend this course as it explains how different childminding is and covers things like working alone, child protection including protecting yourself & family from allegations, regulations to do with childminding, registering with environmental health, ICO, the registration process, preparing for inspection, paperwork, where to find support should you need it. Childminding is different than working in any other childcare setting.

Contact your local FIS to ask about the registration process in your area. it can take anything from 3-12 months after completing the course to become registered so it is not a quick process.

Even childminders that have completed a similar course and are re-registering have to do the pre-reg course.

redbase
18-04-2013, 12:34 PM
Hi. I know in my area (wiltshire) regardless if all ither qualifications you still have to complete an course called "understand how to set a home based childcare service". The cost in our area is £150 and us fine in the evening once a week for two hours and it runs for 8 weeks approx.

Thank you Nicola....my mind is boggling with all the information I am reading about Childminding and also the cost of it all to get registered!:rolleyes:

redbase
18-04-2013, 12:46 PM
To register as a childminder you have to do a childminding course normally called the CYPOP5. This is in the regulations and no matter what qualifications you have you have to attend this course as it explains how different childminding is and covers things like working alone, child protection including protecting yourself & family from allegations, regulations to do with childminding, registering with environmental health, ICO, the registration process, preparing for inspection, paperwork, where to find support should you need it. Childminding is different than working in any other childcare setting.

Contact your local FIS to ask about the registration process in your area. it can take anything from 3-12 months after completing the course to become registered so it is not a quick process.

Even childminders that have completed a similar course and are re-registering have to do the pre-reg course.

Thanks Tulip...the CYPOP5 sounds like an interesting and important course, I suppose I was thinking about courses to do with child development/learning and safegaurding. It make sense to have training that explains what childminding is and safeguarding yourself and all the regulations involved. Childminding child care is completely different and I am in the process of thinking it all through.
Can you tell me if there is link to all the legal requirements needed (maybe in the form of a list?) and the costs? Do you have an idea how much the whole process will cost (roughly)?
Also is there somewhere where I could look to see what Ofsted would be looking for in terms of the envirionment within the home to see if my home would fit into their requirements?
Look forward to your reply.....:)

sarah707
18-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Costs vary depending on where you live - your local bods will be able to advise.

The statutory requirements are on this site - Foundation Years: From pregnancy to children aged 5 (http://www.foundationyears.org.uk) - on the EYFS page - or in free resources at the top of the forum.

Hth :D