PDA

View Full Version : Confused with planning and obs now!

bulldog
14-04-2013, 12:21 PM
I have a three yr old that has just taken up his free 15hrs at a local playgroup.
He goes one full day and 2 half days, these on the 2 days that I have him.
Basically I now have him from 9/9.30 till 1pm.
Mornings we go to playcentres/groups/parks etc.
Im used to planning for his full days so now im unsure as to how much I need to do, as obviously he is following a programme at his playgroup.

Im thinking of doing less formal obs and more WOW moments on post its?
Would you write a plan for 2 days or simply,
Park visit in morning with ball and hoops and nursery p.m
Indoor playcentre a.m/ Nursery p.m????

Tinkerbell1979
14-04-2013, 12:30 PM
That's all I would do x

twinkletots
14-04-2013, 12:32 PM
Me too, that's what I would do :)

Waveawand
14-04-2013, 12:37 PM
I have a three yr old that has just taken up his free 15hrs at a local playgroup.
Im used to planning for his full days so now im unsure as to how much I need to do, as obviously he is following a programme at his playgroup.

Hiya Bulldog, its considered good practice to liaise with the nursery or preschool setting and work together. They will have a Individual plan etc for the child and maybe you could extend the topics they are covering and vice versa. I.e. share what you have already done with the child, his personality etc for them to add into his learning journey. effectively working together for the benefit of the child?
No doubt someone else will clarify further what Im getting at but its basically setting up a partnership with the preschool/nursery and yourself to aid and continue with the childs learning journey ! :) They will have done the planning, you just need to see what they are doing to work out what to do with your time with him.... repeating myself now but hopefully you get my drift !! :)

blue bear
14-04-2013, 03:30 PM
I don't do formal plans unless it's a celebration of some sort like mothers day etc. most days come from the children, next steps from obs are slotted into the plan for the next sessions.
So A on Friday counted the cars he was playing with, he counted 4,so my p,an for Monday is to count other things trying to extend his knowledge. Now I only have him for the morning and we are going to toddlers, so will see what interests him there and encourage the counting with the activities on offer. When he goes to pre school in the afternoon I will take a copy of the wow obs I made when he counted on Friday for their lj and tell them what happened in the morning. The pre school are doing transport as their topic this term so I will extend this by looking at vehicles in the street looking at number plates, colours and types of vehicles. Will take a bus journey with him and hopefully on The train too, to extend his learning from that he has at pre school.

I find by working hand in glove with the pre school the child's learning is seemless and because they are doing what interests them they soak it all up like a sponge.

moggy
14-04-2013, 04:41 PM

I would never write more than that for any plan for any child! I like to be spontaneous and follow what the child is interested in that day/morning/afternoon.

Communication with playgroup is very important, good to start with a positive move from you- write a letter for parent to sign to give permission for you to talk about child with playgroup (get 2 copies and give one to playgroup), ask for key worker's name, arrange to pop in, show your LJ, find out how they plan.