PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here looking for some guidance.

LaLaLou
12-04-2013, 02:47 PM
Hi all,

I'm Louise. I'm married with a 4yo son who starts school in September. I'm after some help/guidance/tips before I speak with my husband about this in more detail.

I currently work part time and I'm looking for a change in career direction. I don't have any formal training, NVQ's etc, for early years care. Is this necessary? Obviously this would put my timeline back, but if its a necessary given, then I'd re-jig things to make it work. I've received an information pack from my LA so I know my first aid and course costs with them. I also know I'd need to register with ofsted.

Am I right in thinking this is the right way to do my application?

*Pre-registration course and first aid course through my LA
*CRB check for me and my husband (would my parents and my M-I-Law also need to be checked? My parents would occasionally come to see me and my m-I-l comes to stay from time to time for a few days)
*public liability insurance
*register with ofsted

This is where I get stuck. I'm not sure if the above is in the correct order, or if I have missed things out. Also, my LA said it would take approx 3 months for the training and application to go through. How long after that could I expect to be up and running?

What provisions, obviously excluding food, would I be expected to supply? I still have my sons cot, I'd get new matress and sheets if I was looking after a baby/ toddler. I have some of his baby toys still that are quite unisex, I'm assuming I wouldn't have to have the entire babies r us section in my front room?!

I'm sorry if that all sounds a bit jumbled, I'm just really excited!

Louise x

Rick
12-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Hi

You don't need any previous childcare qualifications, I didn't.

I think it should be in this order:

*contact LA to find out when your next course is and attend the briefing to make sure it is what you want to do.
*Attend the course. Mine was on Tuesday nights for 2.5 hours so you can carry on working assuming the same. You can do your first aid during your course and you must have done it before you can be registered.
*Fill out your Ofsted application, CRB (now called DBS) checks, health declaration. It's up to you when you do this but preferably near the end of your course so you have covered everything.
*Do your risk assessments and policies. These can take a while so don't leave it too long. There is lots of help on here for that.
*Public liability insurance and informing HMRC of your intention to be self employed can be done when you have a child lined up otherwise you will be paying for nothing!

Ofsted should complete the process of registering you in 12 weeks from when they receive your application. My course was over 10 weeks with a break for school holiday.

You need to CRB check anyone over 16 years old who regularly lives in your house so your MIL should probably be included.

You will need to get safety equipment, first aid kit, fire blanket etc etc as well as some resources. Ofsted will not expect in to have every resource for every age of child as you do not yet know who you will childmind!

This job is very rewarding but there can be lots of paperwork so be warned!

Good luck :thumbsup:

phoenix2010
12-04-2013, 03:31 PM
have you looked here http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/starting-childminding-pre-registration-visits/117176-registering-childminder.html

phoenix2010
12-04-2013, 03:33 PM
as for resources , I wouldnt really get anything until you know what mindees you are having

you could buy lots of baby equipment and toys only to find that you end up with all children 2yrs and over and they are not required

Rick
12-04-2013, 03:34 PM
have you looked here http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/starting-childminding-pre-registration-visits/117176-registering-childminder.html

That answer is much more concise! Although I think everything I said was right! :laughing:

LaLaLou
12-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Thanks both very much. I'll check out the link now :thumbsup: