PDA

View Full Version : Explanation of childcare vouchers/govt. funding

itsybitsyteeny
12-04-2013, 01:18 PM
Hello

My sister is entitled to 15 hours free a week for her 3 year old who is at nursery. Does this also apply to people using childminders? I.e. they get 15 hours funded.

Also if someone could explain how childcare vouchers work in relation to childminding that would be most helpful :) thank you

shortstuff
12-04-2013, 02:14 PM
With the free 15 hours some childminders can accept the funding. You would need to check in the area you are living what criteria have been set for this.

With childcare vouchers it is money taken from wages before tax and NI are taken out and put into vouchers with a company who then forward the money on to CM's. This makes it tax efficient for the parents as they dont pay tax on the sum being transferred into vouchers.

I hope I have answered your questions fully enough. If not shout again x

funemnx
12-04-2013, 05:21 PM
Childminders can offer the free 15 hours provided they are Accredited. It's different in each area but your local early years team should be able to point you in the right direction if you were thinking of offering this to your sister. Once Accredited, you claim from the local council, the money for the 15 hours per term and the parent doesn't have to pay :thumbsup:

moggy
12-04-2013, 07:34 PM
...and to add, it is important to know (if you are looking to become accredited and offer free-entitlement hours to anyone) that the rate per hour the gov will pay you for a free-entitlement child may well be a lot LESS than your usual hourly rate and the average hourly rate in your area. It is the case here. So you can end up making loss on those hours. And you can not charge a 'top up' to make up the difference as you have to agree not to in a contract with the local authority. Can you tell I am not happy with the system?!:p

Edited to add- but in some areas they pay more than the average rate, so you need to check it out.