PDA

View Full Version : When to start advertising?

TraFerd
11-04-2013, 04:16 PM
Hi, I'm 3/4 through my CYPOP5 course and have my first aid course booked for next month. I was hoping to send off my Ofsted application within the next couple of weeks so when would you say is the best time to start advertising?

I'm hoping to be registered by August ready to take children from September.

Karen1
11-04-2013, 04:45 PM
Hi

I am having this dilemma too. I want to be set up by August. I have three more weeks of my course, I have already sent all my forms off and am waiting for my crbs to come back. I want to get started asap, but know I cant take children on to care yet. I was thinking of just putting a short message up on maybe netmums or somewhere like that to say that I am nearly set up and if anyone is interested to contact me? its really hard, because when people are looking they are looking for people to start asap mainly.
whenever I speak to someone though, I am mentioning that I am starting up, so hoping they wont forget me when they or someone they know needs care.
really not sure though on what to do like you?

Rick
11-04-2013, 05:34 PM
It doesn't hurt to advertise now. Some parents are looking for September time and you could be quite an attractive prospect as you can guarantee them the place. You also wont charge a retainer to hold the space open as you don't have a space until your registration comes through. Many childminders don't know exactly how many spaces they will have by then either.

Certainly don't wait until your certificate comes through the door as sometimes the phone doesn't start ringing as I found out!

TraFerd
11-04-2013, 06:36 PM
Thank you that's great advice. I guess I could advertise that I have full time places available from September, put up cards in my local children's centre, community centre etc. My son's preschool manager said she'd recommend me to parents as apparently they're always asking her for details of childminders so it would get my name out there.

Thank you

Rick
11-04-2013, 09:04 PM
Yep getting yourself noticed can take a while so start the process as soon as you can. Get yourself on every website you can find (I'm on pretty much every one on the first page when you type 'childminder' into google). See if you can get to toddler groups, hand out cards. You have a bit of time so you can get networking. Word of mouth is probably the most important way to get children so if parents get to know you beforehand they are more likely to choose you over an unknown childminder.

twinkletots
11-04-2013, 10:31 PM
Definitely start to advertise - letting parents know you are going through the registration process! The first mindees are the hardest to find... Get a head start! September is usually busy as well!

Good luck :)

Karen1
12-04-2013, 09:01 AM
Wow-thanks for all the info.will def start to advertise now then.scary but exciting times. :)

phoenix2010
12-04-2013, 09:06 AM
Now , you would be surprised how far in advance parents look for childcare , sometimes they are not even pregnant yet , I kid you not !

try and be ready to start the first week of Sept to catch the start of the school year

good luck

CLL
12-04-2013, 09:30 AM
I wish I had advertised in advance but my DO said under no circumstances can you promote yourself as a cm until you have your cert. she said it was against Protocol and false advertising. I also don't know if people will be allowed to come into your home to look around as you have not been given the go ahead from Ofsted and are not insured. These are the reasons I didn't advertise first but maybe someone can clarify if these are legal reasons or just precautions. :)

Becci26
12-04-2013, 09:48 AM
I wish I had advertised in advance but my DO said under no circumstances can you promote yourself as a cm until you have your cert. she said it was against Protocol and false advertising. I also don't know if people will be allowed to come into your home to look around as you have not been given the go ahead from Ofsted and are not insured. These are the reasons I didn't advertise first but maybe someone can clarify if these are legal reasons or just precautions. :)

As I understand it u can advertise provided u are not claiming to already be registered and make it clear u can not start minding until the registration process is complete. Hth

phoenix2010
12-04-2013, 12:22 PM

Of course you can advertise before you have your certificate , as long as you make it clear you are going through the process and not actually registered yet , then its not false advertising

as for having people round your house , you dont have to be inspected to have people round , the children are with their parents who are responsible for them, not you , as would be any family member or friend who came round

you are not being paid to look after peoples children alone in your house , so absolutely no checks required

I think your DO is seriously ill informed

CLL
12-04-2013, 12:31 PM
I wish I had registered on here beforehand and then I would not have taken my DO's word as gospel (silly me thinking she knew everything).

phoenix2010
12-04-2013, 12:37 PM
I have to say 99% of what I know comes from here , and the 1% my DO told me was useless

Becci26
12-04-2013, 01:05 PM
I have to say 99% of what I know comes from here , and the 1% my DO told me was useless

I don't even have a DO anymore, and the one we did have previously was absolutely shocking unfortunately!

Rick
12-04-2013, 03:10 PM
I don't even have a DO anymore, and the one we did have previously was absolutely shocking unfortunately!

I know how you feel! We had an email the other day saying because of cuts the DO could only attend our CM group once a fortnight and I thought "That would be an improvement!"

TraFerd
12-04-2013, 03:11 PM
Thank goodness for this board, it's so reassuring to have other's experience to call on!