PDA

View Full Version : What should/can i do?

TillyTwinkle
02-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Not sure if im posting this thread in the correct place, so i apologise if i've got it wrong!

As some of you may already know, i currently mind twins before and after school, however the school is 10 miles from my home and so in total i travel 200 miles a week taking and collecting them!

However with the ever increasing cost of fuel, i am finding that my hourly rate isnt really covering food and petrol anymore! Mum has always said to 'just say' if i need to start charging for food, but i really dont want to start charging for meals or increase my HR incase overall it puts off other people using me.

Hubby has suggested i charge for fuel instead when its outside of my 'normal' area. Can i write a letter asking for this change effective immediately or do i need to wait for contract renewal (october)!

The only reason i didnt charge or have it stated from day one was because i really needed the work and in all honesty it didnt cross my mind!!:o

thanks in advance!
xx

manjay
02-07-2008, 12:52 PM
My Inspector advised me never to charge extra specifically for travel as this then puts you within the realms of new private hire vehicle licensing regulations. I had one child that i agreed to collect from the next village but advised parents that I would have to charge an enhanced hourly rate. Your parent sounds like she is aware that it must be costing you a fortune doing that amount of mileage a week so would probably accept an increase in hourly fees.

sarah707
02-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Manjay is absolutely right and that's exactly what I was going to say! :D

babyandchild
02-07-2008, 01:29 PM
and me! your parents seems really nice, so I'd just have a chat with her and mention that you are going to have to increase your fees, I'd then put it in writing to her confirming that from a certain date your fees will increase to £x

TillyTwinkle
09-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Thanks everyone for your advice. Told mum last night that im having to increase hourly rate from september (contract due for renewal too)

Dont think was too happy but hopefully understands!