PDA

View Full Version : Teething gel

CLL
09-04-2013, 06:06 AM
Quick question- I have a 10 month old baby starting, mum has signed my NCMA forms to say that she wants me to apply teething gel, sudocrem and plasters as and when required. Is teething gel classed as a medicine? Do I need to fill it out as if it were and get mum to sign every morning? Or is it ok just to write in diary what times it is applied?

Thanks in advance :)

christine e
09-04-2013, 06:25 AM
Quick question- I have a 10 month old baby starting, mum has signed my NCMA forms to say that she wants me to apply teething gel, sudocrem and plasters as and when required. Is teething gel classed as a medicine? Do I need to fill it out as if it were and get mum to sign every morning? Or is it ok just to write in diary what times it is applied?

Sarah posted this reply on a similar thread

MEDICATION PERMISSION - non-prescribed medication - pre-school

Date -
Child’s name -
Date of birth –

Your child might fall ill while in our care or you might want us to, for example, apply cream or teething gel. We are happy to support your child by administering non prescribed medications or treatments but the requirements of the EYFS (2012) and Childcare Registers (2012) state that we need your written permission in advance.

Parents, please confirm you give permission for us to administer the following medication if needed by your child...

Medication / treatment Yes /no
Teething gel / powders - when provided by parents for pain relief
Nappy protection cream or ointment - when provided by parents
Sun protection cream - when provided by parents (or supplied by the provider in an emergency) to protect against the risk of sunburn.
Other non prescribed medication -
In here I add things like inhaler, eczema cream etc...

Parents please confirm –
• I understand that the medication must be provided in its original container and that it must come with instructions;
• I understand that in some instances my childminder will contact me prior to administering the medication to make sure my child is not overdosed;
• I understand that I must sign to confirm medication has been given when I collect my child.

I give consent for the medication or treatment to be given to my child as detailed above.
Name of person with parental responsibility for the child –

Signature - Date -
Review date - Sept 2013

bunyip
09-04-2013, 07:20 AM

I would class it as an 'over the counter medication'. Your situation is covered by EYFS Statutory Framework 3.43 & 3.44

3.43 Providers must have and implement a policy, and procedures, for administering medicines. It must include systems for obtaining information about a child’s needs for medicines, and for keeping this information up-to- date. Training must be provided for staff where the administration of medicine requires medical or technical knowledge. Medicines must not usually be administered unless they have been prescribed for a child by a doctor, dentist, nurse or pharmacist (medicines containing aspirin should only be given if prescribed by a doctor).

3.44 Medicine (both prescription and non-prescription) must only be administered to a child where written permission for that particular medicine has been obtained from the child’s parent and/or carer. Providers must keep a written record each time a medicine is administered to a child, and inform the child’s parents and/or carers on the same day, or as soon as reasonably practicable.

This has required a degree of "clarification" by Ofsted, which you will find by downloading and studying the following guidance document:
Ofsted | Factsheet: childcare - Giving medication to children in registered childcare (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/factsheet-childcare-giving-medication-children-registered-childcare)

To summarise. Over the counter medications can be given with the parents' permission but must also have been "prescribed" (which Ofsted take to mean "recommended") by a doctor, pharmacist, or other competent medical professional. The safest way to ensure an over the counter med has been recommended is to tell mum that you need the pharmacist to stick a label on the container, printed with the child's name, pharmacy details, and any additional notes to the standard dosage, etc. (Any pharmacist worth his/her salt will do this to make the sale.)

You need parents' written permission before the first time you administer any particular medication. This consent is then assumed to continue until expressly withdrawn, though I'd always check first and you could write your policy/permissions etc. to encompass this. You also need to keep a record of every dosage/occasion when meds are administered, and get this signed when the child is collected. If Aunty Mabel collects on behalf of mum, then she can sign - but I'd then send mum a message to confirm, and put it into your policies that this is happening.

Hope that helps. :)

CLL
09-04-2013, 12:12 PM
Thank you both for your sound advice. I have made a new document to reflect this :)

twinkletots
09-04-2013, 12:30 PM
I would personally record anything you have administered to the child and get the parent to sign.

CLL
09-04-2013, 12:59 PM
I would personally record anything you have administered to the child and get the parent to sign.

Yes, I have done this thanks. I have made one sheet with name, DOB, description of teething gel and how to administer it. I have then created a table underneath where I fill in and sign and a space for parents to sign.