PDA

View Full Version : would I be mad to take on 12 mth old twins?

Npg1
04-04-2013, 08:32 PM
Hi. Im after some advice please.

Someone has approached me and wants me to look after twins who will be 1 on 27th april. The prob is I will have a 6mth old on a day that i have offered her but said I will need to speak to ofsted.

The other prob is I quoted her £60 for an all day, baring in mind I charge £40 for the average day per child at the mo but she has been to another childminder who has quoted her £55 per day, I then said I might be able to match this but this includes food too!

She really wants me to have them, part of me does but im worried it will be hard work

Any thoughts please

BuggsieMoo
04-04-2013, 08:34 PM
I care for 2 year old twins and a 1 year old - there was a stage when they were all 1 (im allowed 3 under 5, 1 of which can be under 1) and I must say it is hard, but it has been the most rewarding and fulfilling arrangement I have ever had. I love caring for them all. x

AgentTink
05-04-2013, 06:40 AM
I would be really careful about offering care at £25 less per day. Just because they are twins it wont mean less work. Just calculate how much you would lose over a week and then think about what you would earn. As long as you really happy to lose x amount then go for it, but it will be really hard to increase payments once they have started.

I would love to mind twins someday just for the experience of seeing how they develop.

BuggsieMoo
05-04-2013, 06:46 AM
I would be really careful about offering care at £25 less per day. Just because they are twins it wont mean less work. Just calculate how much you would lose over a week and then think about what you would earn. As long as you really happy to lose x amount then go for it, but it will be really hard to increase payments once they have started.

I would love to mind twins someday just for the experience of seeing how they develop.

Agenttink my Twins are like chalk and cheese (boy and girl) and althougth they are identical they are so different. One oves messy play, one hates it. One talks really well, one is more quiet. They are lovely and I will miss them lots when we move. Its lovely hearing them coming down my path in the morning saying Im going to seee X and X who is my DD. Then I get big hugs as they come in, kisses before they have their nap and random cuddles throughout the day. Even to the stage where Dad has been away and Mum said about were going to see Daddy when driving home from being away and they replied No go see X. We also use sign language due to twin 2's speech - however this is coming on in leaps and bounds.

I do offer a sibling discount for my Twins - but its not that much of a reduction. Like you said, it is more work.

carol cameron
05-04-2013, 06:52 AM
I look after twins who are almost 7 years old and have cared for them since they were 5 months old. I must be a bit meaner than some of you out there because I have always charged full fees for both of them:blush:

They are great but looking after them both has been hard work and I think I would have resented giving a big discount especially when they were babies. I know it works for some people though so do what feels right for you.

AgentTink
05-04-2013, 06:55 AM
Agenttink my Twins are like chalk and cheese (boy and girl) and althougth they are identical they are so different. One oves messy play, one hates it. One talks really well, one is more quiet. They are lovely and I will miss them lots when we move. Its lovely hearing them coming down my path in the morning saying Im going to seee X and X who is my DD. Then I get big hugs as they come in, kisses before they have their nap and random cuddles throughout the day. Even to the stage where Dad has been away and Mum said about were going to see Daddy when driving home from being away and they replied No go see X. We also use sign language due to twin 2's speech - however this is coming on in leaps and bounds.

I do offer a sibling discount for my Twins - but its not that much of a reduction. Like you said, it is more work.

That's what I find so interesting. I grew up with 3 sets of twins in my class at school from the age of 5. I still see 2 sets of the twins now and even though they were identical their personalities couldn't be more different. I would love to see 2 young baby twins grow and develop.

lor
05-04-2013, 06:59 AM
I have looked after twins I gave £5 a day discount- that's my usual sibling discount.
I wouldn't give to much of a discount you still looking after the same amount of children.

xx

jillplum
05-04-2013, 06:25 PM
I have twins of my own. They are now 15 and have always been very different. When they were little I minded a child the same age so I had triplets. Hard work but lots of fun.
By the way, boy/girls twins cant be identical :D

BuggsieMoo
05-04-2013, 07:04 PM
I have twins of my own. They are now 15 and have always been very different. When they were little I minded a child the same age so I had triplets. Hard work but lots of fun.
By the way, boy/girls twins cant be identical :D

To look at the 2 I mind who are boy/girl you cant tell them apart (not helped at times by the clothing as if one has blue stripes, so does the other etc) unless you really know them. I love meeting up with friends and watching them get them mixed up. Oh they also have the same sort of hair cut at present as well - one is just a shade darker. x

*daisychain*
05-04-2013, 07:31 PM
Twins are amazing ;) I have 16 year old twin daughters , their dads a twin , I have 13 year old step twin sons, and 17 year old twin nieces !!!!! Each and every one is totally different , all identical medically though , I'd love to get the chance to look after twins too, I feel I have a little experience of them :) however I'm not sure if offer a discounted rate , like OP says, they still cost the same amount to feed .

Supernanny86
05-04-2013, 08:11 PM
It's not quite the same thing but I'm a nanny for 18 month twin boys. Although not identical their little personalities are already shining through!! I love seeing them developing as individuals!! I'd say if it feels right for you then go for it! Lots of people tried to put me off of this job but I couldn't be happier!!!

Kxxx

serin
05-04-2013, 08:29 PM
It's not quite the same thing but I'm a nanny for 18 month twin boys. Although not identical their little personalities are already shining through!! I love seeing them developing as individuals!! I'd say if it feels right for you then go for it! Lots of people tried to put me off of this job but I couldn't be happier!!!

Kxxx

I have a 17 month old boy of my own and a 18 month old I look after. They learn so much off of each other it is amazing. I find it no trouble at all. So long as you have a routine you stick to and be consistent with your rules then you should be fine. I believe if I had a baby to care for too I could cope but I have not tried yet. The kids can feed themselves finger food and they sleep without assistance so they are quite independent.

I must say though it sounds like your a dropping the fee quite a bit. You must make a deal with them you will be happy with long term and not live to regret.

Npg1
07-04-2013, 12:53 PM
Thanks everyone. She wants 3 days 8 til 5 for £55 per day. I am kind of miffed that she didnt take my offer of £60 per day.

Thing is I have now said I would match the £55 per day but this other cm is including food in that. How can I get out of doing food now?

jillplum
07-04-2013, 04:09 PM
You are already giving her a great deal so I wouldnt include food. She can provide food or you can charge extra for it. If she wants you she will accept it. Dont undervalue yorself :D

Mouse
07-04-2013, 05:33 PM
Thanks everyone. She wants 3 days 8 til 5 for £55 per day. I am kind of miffed that she didnt take my offer of £60 per day.

Thing is I have now said I would match the £55 per day but this other cm is including food in that. How can I get out of doing food now?

Do you know for a fact this other cm is offering to do it for £55 including food? That seems awfully low if your current rate is £40 each a day. Sometimes parents do fib about what they've been offered elsewhere, or try to play one off against the other!

Personally I wouldn't have given such a big discount and I certainly wouldn't be including food in the price. If the mum has been offered such a low price by another cm, why hasn't she gone there? If she keeps coming back to you, it must be you she really wants. Have more confidence in yourself :thumbsup:

Npg1
08-04-2013, 08:42 AM
Thanks everyone.

Im really stuck! She keeps texting and now I dont know what to say. A 6mth old baby and 12mth old twins. There will be 2 weeks were they wont be 1 (1 at end april). Im now worrying it will be too much.
I have told her I cant do dinner for them. She wants me to give them breakfast which I said if you provide me with a cereal they like I would but her reply was they eat toast and bananas. Lunch we havent mentioned......

To top it off I have a lady coming Wednesday to see me with a baby who also wants 3 days from aug. I would much rather this and can charge £40 per day.

Do you think I should tell the mum of twins to see the other childminder too?

FussyElmo
08-04-2013, 08:49 AM
Thanks everyone.

Im really stuck! She keeps texting and now I dont know what to say. A 6mth old baby and 12mth old twins. There will be 2 weeks were they wont be 1 (1 at end april). Im now worrying it will be too much.
I have told her I cant do dinner for them. She wants me to give them breakfast which I said if you provide me with a cereal they like I would but her reply was they eat toast and bananas. Lunch we havent mentioned......

To top it off I have a lady coming Wednesday to see me with a baby who also wants 3 days from aug. I would much rather this and can charge £40 per day.

Do you think I should tell the mum of twins to see the other childminder too?

You wont be able to take them on until they are one I don't see how you grant yourself a variation for 3 under 1 for new business :thumbsup:

Npg1
08-04-2013, 08:51 AM
I did think this. I was going to contact ofsted and see where I stand.

Mouse
08-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Be honest with yourself, would you rather have baby twins with a demanding mother earning £55 for them both, or a single baby where you're earning £40? You will end up resenting it in time if you sell yourself short now & cave in to all these demands.

I know which one I would prefer. 12mth old twins and a 6mth old are going to be very hard work. The mother sounds hard work, before they've even started with you. I would call her bluff. Tell her you've thought about it over the weekend and you're sorry, but you're not going to be able to accommodate her requests. Wish her luck with the other childminder who has offered the low fee.

CLL
08-04-2013, 01:42 PM
Be honest with yourself, would you rather have baby twins with a demanding mother earning £55 for them both, or a single baby where you're earning £40? You will end up resenting it in time if you sell yourself short now & cave in to all these demands.

I know which one I would prefer. 12mth old twins and a 6mth old are going to be very hard work. The mother sounds hard work, before they've even started with you. I would call her bluff. Tell her you've thought about it over the weekend and you're sorry, but you're not going to be able to accommodate her requests. Wish her luck with the other childminder who has offered the low fee.

I agree!! Just let her go elsewhere. I wouldn't have even offered her a discount to begin with. Just say sorry, you have thought about it and realised you can not work for so little money.