PDA

View Full Version : quite a few accounts questions sorry!

ozzy10
04-04-2013, 01:35 PM
Hi

Just wondering where I enter my maternity allowance in my accounts?

Also I've started having a cleaner 2 hours a week can I put a percentage of this down as expenses?

Can I claim for the British gas boiler cover we have that includes yearly service?

Thanks

Daftbat
04-04-2013, 02:06 PM
I think the maternity allowance will come up in your tax return anyway.

With regard to the cleaner and boiler bits I don't think you will be able to unless you can evidence the fact that its done purely for childminding purposes which I suspect it isn't. You can take off 10% from your gross income anyway which I think is designed to cover wear and tear along with this type of expense really.

Chatterbox Childcare
05-04-2013, 06:48 AM
I don't know about MA but MR A will undoubtedly tellyou :)

As to the cleaner, these are a different set of accounts to childminding, so keep them separate

christine e
05-04-2013, 06:51 AM
I don't know about MA but MR A will undoubtedly tellyou :)

As to the cleaner, these are a different set of accounts to childminding, so keep them separate

Think you might have misread this ozzy10 is asking if he/she can claim for having a cleaner

carol cameron
05-04-2013, 07:01 AM
I have always put a contribution towards the cost of a cleaner through my books. I put a third of the cost through. My accountant has never said not too so I have done it for the last few years.

Nicola Carlyle
05-04-2013, 07:06 AM
I will also be putting a percentage of my cleaning bills through my books this year. I honestly can't see a problem with it. x

Rubybubbles
05-04-2013, 07:54 AM
Having done a webinar with HMRC in March they stated NO to claiming for a cleaner, you can claim for cleaning materials but point blank no for the cost of a cleaner as unless a 'childminding only room' which brings in other factors

Having done my accounts for the last 9 years lots came up that has made me think of getting an accountant this year!

ozzy10
05-04-2013, 07:59 AM
Thanks everyone. Shall put a percentage of cleaning down and wait to see with maternity allowance.

ozzy10
05-04-2013, 08:00 AM
Maybe I won't be putting cleaning through then!

MrAnchovy
05-04-2013, 12:40 PM
Boiler servicing is a grey area, see here (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/book-keeping-accounts-tax-expenses-national-insurance/110940-boiler-servicing.html#post1180646).

You can claim a fair proportion of the cost of a cleaner; I don't see how HMRC could possibly argue that a proportion of the cost of cleaning materials is incurred necessarily, wholly and exclusively for a business purpose but a similar proportion of the cost of someone to use them is not.

Maternity Allowance is not taxable and shouldn't go anywhere in your accounts or tax return.

Chatterbox Childcare
05-04-2013, 03:03 PM
sorry I saw cleaner and replied to cleaner but read car...

Drrrrrrrrrrr me

ozzy10
05-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Thanks I shall leave maternity pay off but claim a percentage of mu cleaner (now I can do that DH might let me have her a couple more hours! ).