PDA

View Full Version : Our Very Hungry Caterpillar Display

BuggsieMoo
03-04-2013, 11:57 AM
Thought id share this with everyone. Bit of a dull day today but when the sun is shining it looks lovely through the sun catchers.

angeldelight
03-04-2013, 12:00 PM
Ahhh that's lovely

I will move this to activity ideas ...it will get lost here in the lounge

Angel xx

Carol
03-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Thanks for showing us your lovely display

Carol

clareelizabeth1
03-04-2013, 12:09 PM
That looks lovely. Really good idea. I might have to pinch it.

hectors house
03-04-2013, 12:37 PM
Wow that looks great - we did Hungry Caterpillar last summer so better leave it a while before we do it again - but I may remember some of your activities for when we do.

mrstom
03-04-2013, 01:05 PM
That is lovely. I might have to use the sun-catcher idea - we get sun shining through our conservatory most of the day which would be perfect (and so pretty!)

:)

SYLVIA
03-04-2013, 01:29 PM
That's lovely. We will be doing ours when its a little warmer as I want to grow the caterpillars like we did last year. I do like your idea of doing it on the window. I might do this instead of having a separate board.

BuggsieMoo
03-04-2013, 01:34 PM
That's lovely. We will be doing ours when its a little warmer as I want to grow the caterpillars like we did last year. I do like your idea of doing it on the window. I might do this instead of having a separate board.

We've got the caterpillars as well - they're about 2 or so inches long now so I think they may start to change soon. All the kids are really excited watching the development of them. :-)

skatie
03-04-2013, 06:42 PM
Brilliant display, te sun catchers are lovely.

skatie
03-04-2013, 06:43 PM
We've got the caterpillars as well - they're about 2 or so inches long now so I think they may start to change soon. All the kids are really excited watching the development of them. :-)

Where did you get your caterpillars from? Silly question, did they come in the post?

zillervalley
03-04-2013, 06:47 PM
great display, and I like the idea of the window,

ziller

BuggsieMoo
03-04-2013, 07:00 PM
Where did you get your caterpillars from? Silly question, did they come in the post?

insectlore.co.uk we get them from their every year and ladybirds x

skatie
03-04-2013, 08:03 PM
insectlore.co.uk we get them from their every year and ladybirds x

Thanks, will have a look x

Jenna
03-04-2013, 09:31 PM
It's fab I love the very hungry caterpillar I might pinch some of your ideas if that's ok.

harleyrider
03-04-2013, 09:47 PM
Looks lovely

Houlgated
03-04-2013, 10:39 PM
that looks lovely, will be pinching that idea ;)

miffy
04-04-2013, 07:12 AM
That looks great.:thumbsup:

Miffy xx

Kirstylob
04-04-2013, 08:55 PM
Love it! I am planning to do the Hungry Caterpillar next month. I had heard you could 'grow' caterpillars but not ladybirds. Silly question but is it hard? What's the survival rate like?! I might give it ago.

AgentTink
05-04-2013, 06:29 AM
Love it! I am planning to do the Hungry Caterpillar next month. I had heard you could 'grow' caterpillars but not ladybirds. Silly question but is it hard? What's the survival rate like?! I might give it ago.

It is,great fun watching the caterpillars and the process of changing into butterflys. Out of 10 caterpillars we had 7 butterflys. Really easy to do too. Look up company called insect lore. Can but their products off them and also amazon and play. We also had ladybirds and watch then grow for 7 days and then released them.

BuggsieMoo
05-04-2013, 06:42 AM

We've done ladybirds and caterpillars every year and so far none have not survived (if you do not include my husband driving over the grass by our house one year to load the car up just where we had released the ladybirds).

One of our caterpillars (we have 5 in one box) has started to become a cocoon today.....

AgentTink
05-04-2013, 07:02 AM
We've done ladybirds and caterpillars every year and so far none have not survived (if you do not include my husband driving over the grass by our house one year to load the car up just where we had released the ladybirds).

One of our caterpillars (we have 5 in one box) has started to become a cocoon today.....

You have got me all excited. The easter bunny normally brings the caterpillars for my little girl, but it was far too cold this year to leave any (which he kindly wrote in a card to my little girl to avoid any disappointment). Another reason was also due to us going on holiday in less than 3 weeks, so the easter bunny has instructed mummy and daddy to give him call when we return from holiday and he will send some. I am already excited lol x

cuddlybunny38
05-04-2013, 07:06 AM
This is lovely, what a great idea x

Rubybubbles
05-04-2013, 07:26 AM
looks great hun

(see now you have a use for all that sticky back lol!!):laughing:

BuggsieMoo
05-04-2013, 07:32 AM
looks great hun

(see now you have a use for all that sticky back lol!!):laughing:

LOL - where would I be without you RubyBubbles!!

Petshrinklj
22-04-2013, 08:56 PM
That's a wonderful display. I never knew you could buy caterpillars. I'm so excited by that lol. I think this is why I want to be a childminder I get so excited by these sorts of activities. ( i Must remember to involve the kids though lol. ;) )

BuggsieMoo
23-04-2013, 06:33 AM
Our caterpillars are now beautiful butterflies

Cinnamon Sugar
23-04-2013, 07:36 AM
Buggsiemoo I love this! I had no idea you could buy caterpillars to grow. I've planted nastursium seeds this year in the hope that the plants would attract the butterflies so we can have caterpillars as we haven't had any for a couple of years... uesd to get loads. The children love the story so I'm going to copy some of your lovely ideas, with the tissue paper butterflies, is that stuck on to cellophane or just glued together? :)

BuggsieMoo
23-04-2013, 11:03 AM
Buggsiemoo I love this! I had no idea you could buy caterpillars to grow. I've planted nastursium seeds this year in the hope that the plants would attract the butterflies so we can have caterpillars as we haven't had any for a couple of years... uesd to get loads. The children love the story so I'm going to copy some of your lovely ideas, with the tissue paper butterflies, is that stuck on to cellophane or just glued together? :)

Its the shape cut out and stuck onto sticky back plastic. They then place the bits on the sticky side and then ive laminated it in a laminating sheet x

Cinnamon Sugar
25-05-2013, 10:25 AM
We've had loads of fun making these beautiful butterflies. I've passed the idea on to another couple of cm's too. I had lots of quality street wrappers I accumulated over Christmas and these have worked really well too. :-)