PDA

View Full Version : Slings?!

Becci26
02-04-2013, 11:17 AM
Hi all,

Just wondering if any of u have used a sling/ wrap for ur baby and how you found it?

Thinking about getting one to use for when baby arrives but just not sure.

Any pros/ cons/ advice grateful, would be great to hear ur views :-)

cathtee
02-04-2013, 11:40 AM
I've not used one, but have seen many with the back sling but I always worry about falling on baby. there was a lady at school with one
and baby was in for a long time when I saw lo walking its legs were very bent, not sure if being carried around like this all the time caused it
it's personal choice really ,

alex1604
02-04-2013, 12:01 PM
I used a Kari me sling when my DS was newborn until about 10 months. It was lovely as really soft and comfy for him and I felt he was safe and close to me. Was great for dog walking but also just for getting things down around the house. Here's the link to their website:
www.kari-me.com

singingcactus
02-04-2013, 12:18 PM
I mostly used a lovely wrap sling for my little one. Sometimes I used a ring sling, and rarely I used a pouch. All three types my son could sleep in, or sit upright. I always had him on my front, I just loved to look into his eyes all the time, and kiss his forehead. All 3 types can be used, front carry, side carry or back carry.
These days, for my mindees, I use a meitai, or a ring sling mostly, occassionally I use my side carry wrap but not so often.
I cannot recommend good quality slings enough. The mothercare/tomy style ones I would never recommend though, not good for carriers back or childs hips/comfort. A good simple fabric sling is infintely adjustable for 100%comfort of the carrier and the carried. Personally I don't recommend rear carries, because it is a wasted opportunity for chatting, kissing, bonding and eye contact with your child.
My son was above 99th centile in lentgh and weight, and I carried him in comfort till he was gone 2. If you adjust the sling appropriately there is no discomfort to you or your child, and your child is no weight to you at all. Just make sure he is positioned well into you and you will be glad that you got a sling.

moggy
02-04-2013, 12:24 PM
I mostly used a lovely wrap sling for my little one. Sometimes I used a ring sling, and rarely I used a pouch. All three types my son could sleep in, or sit upright. I always had him on my front, I just loved to look into his eyes all the time, and kiss his forehead. All 3 types can be used, front carry, side carry or back carry.
These days, for my mindees, I use a meitai, or a ring sling mostly, occassionally I use my side carry wrap but not so often.
I cannot recommend good quality slings enough. The mothercare/tomy style ones I would never recommend though, not good for carriers back or childs hips/comfort. A good simple fabric sling is infintely adjustable for 100%comfort of the carrier and the carried. Personally I don't recommend rear carries, because it is a wasted opportunity for chatting, kissing, bonding and eye contact with your child.
My son was above 99th centile in lentgh and weight, and I carried him in comfort till he was gone 2. If you adjust the sling appropriately there is no discomfort to you or your child, and your child is no weight to you at all. Just make sure he is positioned well into you and you will be glad that you got a sling.

I have a similar sling collection! For a newborn I love a Kari-me, once it is tied on you can keep it on an put baby in and out as needed, so useful for having hands free. God tip is to look for a sling that holds baby's legs like 'froggy legs' and NOT a 'crotch-dangler' as they are not good for the pelvis, hang too low and are bad for your back. Search baby-wearing websites for loads of advice. Try to find local sling-meet to try different styles to see what suits you.

dette
02-04-2013, 12:26 PM
i used a freedom sling for my little ones and i now have a lovely black fleece sling from red kite that cost less than £10,i use it every day couldnt be without it