PDA

View Full Version : size matters??

Blackhorse
01-07-2008, 03:15 PM
I was wondering how large the rooms and garden would have to be to be allowed max. numbers. - or are there also other factors for the decision of numbers??
I am living in a terraced house and am thinking of registering the livingroom, kitchen, 1 kids room as place for sleeping , the back garden and the bathroom.
None of these rooms are tiny, but they are not big massive rooms either if you know what I mean
also, where do you put after school kids if they have homework??
are you allowed to help them or do you need (or recommend) a course for that??

many questions but your advise on this forum is fantastic and I am already addicted!! So many lovely people!!!:) :thumbsup: :jump for joy:

Annie_T
01-07-2008, 03:20 PM
if you have children under 8 that effects your numbers, (im allowed 4 mindees as i have 2 under 8yrs)

i have a kitchen/diner, small loo, med living room, drive/bk garden and small front garden, there was no issues raised, i just said i will take them to park, walk, libary etc

hope this helps hun

susi513
03-07-2008, 01:49 PM
For homework, children do need a bit of quiet and plenty of table space. We manage by having a snack when we get in from school then a quiet time so older ones can do any homework and the younger ones do quiet activities. Can be a challenge, just like getting children to sleep when others don't need a nap. I explain to parents that my homework help consists of guiding them where I'm asked to help (and when I am able!). I don't give answers or do it for them, just help them to find answers on their own. Sometimes that means looking on the internet together or getting books from the library. Sometimes I've been stumped too and we've left it to discuss with mum/dad when they collect.

Worth discussing with parents beforehand what their expectations are. I have one parent that didn't want me to make any entries in her child's school reading record. Most parents here like to do that bit themselves. While I've seen other children's reading records are filled only by the childminder!

I don't make them finish their homework before they do anything else. I just ask what they've got to do and encourage them to make a start. The ones I care for usually have a week to do most set homework so they often do some here and some at home. The focus of my childcare is FUN, I try to make sure they don't spend all their time doing homework and have time for games as well.