PDA

View Full Version : Advice on how to make sure everyone gets enough sleep?

Olivia's mum
26-03-2013, 10:56 AM
Hi,

Very new to all this so any advice would be so helpful!
My daughter seems to be not getting enough sleep when I have a particular child in the house.
My daughter has one big sleep in the afternoon now, the last couple of weeks on the day when I have another 1 yr old my daughter hasn't slept more than 1/2 hour then been up for 4 hours in the night (very unlike her) she has slept fine every other night.
The 1 yr old has 2/3 short naps so is usually up when my daughter needs to sleep, the problem I have is if my daughter needs settling the other one starts to scream as I cannot leave her she has to be with me all the time - not helpful when I am trying to get my one off to sleep.
Any tips? Yesterday I tried going for a drive, but the one I wanted to sleep didn't and the want I didn't want to sleep did! I have only had 2 hours sleep and really don't want to resolve this so that I can continue.
Feel like I am falling at the 1st hurdle!
Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Nicola Carlyle
26-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Is there anyway you could put them down for naps in different rooms, in travel cots learning to self settle somewhere secure and safe?

Olivia's mum
26-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Is there anyway you could put them down for naps in different rooms, in travel cots learning to self settle somewhere secure and safe?

I have one upstairs and one downstairs so they are apart, it's just that when my daughter sleeps the other one is awake. So if I have to go and settle my daughter because she is crying then the other screams the minute I leave the room. I tried to take her upstairs with me but then my daughter hears her and gets even more upset as she wants to get up then.
a sleep deprived baby is no fun :(

I have been thinking I don't have her over the holidays so as long as there are no repeats I know that is the issue. So I might try giving my little one lunch before the other one, setting up the other ready to go while I put mine down for a nap and hope she settles while I am feeding the other one. phew!

hectors house
26-03-2013, 01:17 PM
I currently have 3 asleep upstairs in different bedrooms - 2 in travel cots, one in a buggy - all have classic fm on the radio. They all eat lunch together, then I change nappies, they clean teeth and walk or crawl upstairs to their bedrooms.

I would keep your daughter's routine the same as it used to be and the other child will have to adapt - try to shorten your daughters settling down time - I just put mine in their cots or buggy, say night night see you later and walk out the room - doors are slightly closed so I can still peek in to check on them. I would think that 2 or 3 sleeps is difficult to plan round with the one year old - try to cut it down to just 2 - they may sleep longer then?