PDA

View Full Version : End of term summery, is it really necessary every term???

bellacat
25-03-2013, 04:23 PM
I have 4 LJ's to do. I try to keep up to date but quite often fall behind :( . At the end of each term I do a summery, along with our new plan for the following term. I then let the parents take the journal home so that they can enjoy it, over the school holiday. There is an area on the summery sheet for them to make a comment, this also applies to any preschool that they might attend. All of my mindee's are part time, so I only seem to have a few obs done in each journal and this term seems to have been really short. My question is do I really have to do a summery every term. My coordinator really liked my summery sheet but I dont really have anything new to put on it this term, so it seems pointless.

Totally agree with someone else on here who says "Love childminding but HATE paperwork".

VeggieSausage
25-03-2013, 05:11 PM
It is good practise I would say to do one 3 times a year with each term but if there isn't much in the folder etc why not leave it until the next half term.....I would do that and then do the next one at the end of the summer hols....

blue bear
25-03-2013, 05:18 PM
I've copied what Sarah does,one on the child's birthday and one six months later, that way you don't have to do them all in one week. I just send lj's home with a comment sheet and questions about things chikd has been doing at home when it's end of term.

sarah707
25-03-2013, 05:46 PM
Yep that's me - child's birthday and 6 months later.

I find it easier to show progression when it's over a slightly longer period of time as well.

Remember that summary assessments are NOT a requirement beyond doing the 2 year check - however they are very useful for showing the child is making good progress.

Hth :D