PDA

View Full Version : Please help re:paperwork

sarahb1985
22-03-2013, 11:19 PM
HI, I have been childminding for 2 weeks and already feel behind and overwhelmed with paperwork!!
I am minding 1 13 month old 2 days a week to start with

So far I have:

Joined NCMA including insurance
Joined ICO
Registered self employed

Permission forms signed
Contract signed
Medical forms signed
Filled in daily register
Filled in expenses
Daily diary where I write food child has eaten, naps, nappy changes, activities... which I give parent each day

Am I missing anything?

I also have a whole load of jumbled information about the child including starting points and observations, likes and dislikes, routine information, things her mum has told me about her.. all in bullet points under one document on my computer!!

Please can someone tell me how to organise this information as I feel really lost and behind.

I have had this child about 20 hours so far and I'm struggling already!! Really hoping to find my feet and settle into it all soon!

PixiePetal
22-03-2013, 11:33 PM
Sounds like you are doing ok with your paperwork :) It is still early days so don't be hard on yourself - I have been minding over 18 years and still find different ways to do paperwork as time goes on

All your other bits of info could be the start of an all about me booklet - maybe put a pic on the front and write things like 'my favourite...' or 'I like playing with.....' 'I can....'

I keep my strting points/obs separate from child info, personal choice, you will soon get in the swing of things. The forum is full of ideas - you don't have to do them all but reading what other people do might give ideas you can adapt for yourself

Hope you are enjoying your new venture :)

sarahb1985
22-03-2013, 11:57 PM
Thankyou for your reply, that's a great idea.. There seems to be so many different ways to do things! I will have a look around.

I am really enjoying it, my first mindee is really happy and easy going which has been great. It's just the paperwork I'm struggling with a bit! I guess it just takes some time to figure things out!

Thankyou again x

Houlgated
23-03-2013, 12:38 AM
It sounds like you're off to a good start. I've been minding for a while and still feel bogged down by the paperwork. Does your local authority have templates of learning journals that you could use? I used to do my own style but have started using the local authority one as lots of the nurseries and preschools do so at least if I have a child attending another setting too the paperwork fits together iyswim.

blue bear
23-03-2013, 07:29 AM
I also have a whole load of jumbled information about the child including starting points and observations, likes and dislikes, routine information, things her mum has told me about her.. all in bullet points under one document on my computer!!

Please can someone tell me how to organise this information as I feel really lost and behind.!

Many childminders choose to put together a learning journal which shows the child's learning journey during their time with you.
Buy or make a scrapbook, a lever arch folder with poly pockets, a display book, a big a4 sized book or something else, no one is the only one you can choose how you do it.

In here I put all the jumbled information you have listed above, over time the observations, photographs, info from home etc build up not only a nice keep sake for parents but a really useful tool for monitoring the child's developmental progress.

clareelizabeth1
23-03-2013, 03:46 PM
Remember to keep all things mum gives you about the child as it shows you working with parents.

Rick
23-03-2013, 04:28 PM
Many childminders choose to put together a learning journal which shows the child's learning journey during their time with you.
Buy or make a scrapbook, a lever arch folder with poly pockets, a display book, a big a4 sized book or something else, no one is the only one you can choose how you do it.

In here I put all the jumbled information you have listed above, over time the observations, photographs, info from home etc build up not only a nice keep sake for parents but a really useful tool for monitoring the child's developmental progress.

Excellent advice! I have learning journals for all of my children. A picture and name on the front, first page is the 'All About Me' form which the parents filled out prior to starting. Then I stick in observations/assessments which include a photo as evidence, a relevant statement from the Development Matters document and next steps (ideas for future activities or resources required whch follow a child's interests or needs). That's the official development stuff but in between I have photos of children's artwork/outings etc that may be of more interest to parents. They will not read reams and reams of assessments! It brings everything together in one document which I share with parents and get their comments. At the same time I send home parent feedback forms and 'Other Setting' forms so parents can write down anything which has happened at home which may be of benefit to me so I can give the child a better environment at my setting with things that are going to interest them and help their development.

You may look to do roughly one observation and assessment every 2 or 3 days but it depends on how many hours you have the child for. Try and do obs which cover all areas of development (0 to 3 years focus on the three prime areas and over 3 can introduce more specific areas).

I also do daily diaries as you do. But you seem to have everything else covered, it sounds more like an organisation thing that you want to sort out.

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

chriss
06-04-2013, 04:28 PM
I use scrapbooks, but thinking of using a display type folder which mite be more flexible...I mean that if I forget to add something I can slip it in, whereas with scrabooks once I have done a few pages page, thats it, I cant add anything in between.

Sorry thats badly worded but hope you get what I mean.

What do the lovely people on here have as learning journals ?

Tazmin68
06-04-2013, 06:25 PM
A Childminder that I know got outstanding was advised that she really only needed to do a detailed activity plan, observations made and future planning once a month.