PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to your new section of the forum!

sarah707
22-03-2013, 07:58 AM
A number of childminders have approached the Childminding Forum asking for a section dedicated to independent childminders.

So here it is! :magnificent:

This is YOUR section - for YOU to talk about what YOU intend to do to remain independent.

You can use it to discuss your concerns for independence AND to ask advice and share information and good practice about independence.

The next few months are going to be a learning journey for every one of us as we decide what we want to do - join an agency or stay independent.

The Childminding Forum is here to support you - whatever you choose :D

FussyElmo
22-03-2013, 08:04 AM
That explains the section I saw last night - wondered if it was under construction :thumbsup:

Simona
22-03-2013, 08:31 AM
Thanks Sarah for putting 'independence' in a special place

Agencies are coming but we do not know in what shape or form...in fact it looks like there will be many models that Truss will allow to be formed
My recommendation is that cms keep informed, share concerns, support each other and ask questions...as many as you have.

We also do not know what the LAs role will be in relation to agencies and those who remain truly independent..in other words those who will not belong to any association for indepedent cms, and we seem to have 4 choices from Monday ...we will need to fine a new 'name' for us!

There are too many unclear areas at present such as training, support, new Ofsted inspection framework in future, and above all who monitors the agencies' quality...do they have a Code of practice or will they do as they please, like 152 LAs have been allowed to do?...if so why join them?...wait and see how they operate first then make an informed choice

Off to write to the DfE...keep giving those questions so we can send them off to them!!

silvermist
22-03-2013, 08:55 AM
What a great idea! Im all for being independent!

Mollymop
22-03-2013, 09:00 AM
This is a good idea, Thanks.

Vicki Malone
22-03-2013, 09:06 AM
This is a good idea, Thanks.

I'm staying independent until i see what happens..looks like we are all swimming in circles for a while:panic:

Toothfairy
22-03-2013, 09:10 AM
Thank you :thumbsup:
I'm an Independent Childcare Professional and proud of it :clapping:

Aggie
22-03-2013, 09:25 AM
I too am an independent childminder and intend to stay that way:jump for joy:

kats
22-03-2013, 09:27 AM
This is brilliant, somewhere for us who want to remain independent to share our concerns, thank you!! :)

Tups
22-03-2013, 10:16 AM
Good idea, :clapping:

SYLVIA
22-03-2013, 11:24 AM
Thank you :thumbsup:
I'm an Independent Childcare Professional and proud of it :clapping:

Perhaps this is the title we should all advertise ourselves as. It sounds really professional and important rather than an agency childminder!

nipper
22-03-2013, 11:39 AM
Yes but let's be honest, would most of our parents understand the difference. Most of mine when I tried to explain about the changes ET was planning, were none the wiser.

sarah707
22-03-2013, 12:46 PM
Yes but let's be honest, would most of our parents understand the difference. Most of mine when I tried to explain about the changes ET was planning, were none the wiser.

Mine all understood the damage that would be done to children if there were more children per adult - and all asked for my reassurance that we weren't changing anything here.

Did you see the news? Only 5% of nurseries support ratios changes -

Pressure mounts over changes to childcare ratios | Children & Young People Now (http://www.cypnow.co.uk/cyp/news/1076707/pressure-mounts-changes-childcare-ratios)

So why is Truss still pushing ahead with her plan?

Our www.keepratiosdown.co.uk campaign is really making a difference :clapping:

cbj1609
22-03-2013, 04:16 PM
Staying Independent until I'm told its Illegal not to.

Love my Professional Independence, I've worked Bl%^%y hard for it.
Not giving anything to an Agency.

mazza58
22-03-2013, 04:22 PM
nice to know that we can all share information together and as childminders that is one of the reasons I became one to be independent and not have to work for anyone else

jillplum
22-03-2013, 07:09 PM
I will stay independant unless and untill someone categorically proves to me that it is in my best interest to do otherwise.

cathtee
22-03-2013, 08:02 PM
I'm an independant childminder and will stay that way or retire.

Thanks Sarah a great place for us all to share our thoughts:thumbsup:

lindylou
22-03-2013, 09:17 PM
I'm an independant childminder and will stay that way or retire.

Thanks Sarah a great place for us all to share our thoughts:thumbsup:

Thanks Sarah yes I will be staying independant definately against Agencies

MessybutHappy
22-03-2013, 10:03 PM
Oooh, exciting! People call independent midwives because they want a personal service, not to be left to the vagaries of the state! I think that soon people will be calling independent childminders/child care professionals for the same reason!

Gooooo Uuuusssss!:clapping::clapping:

Little miss
22-03-2013, 10:23 PM
As far as I'm concerned I gave up working for an agency to work for myself - I was a secondary school teacher!

Mrs Scrubbit
22-03-2013, 10:27 PM
Thank you I'm remaining idependent until the day I tidy my toys away for the very last time x

littlemiss60561
22-03-2013, 11:52 PM
Thank you sarah.
Ill be staying independent and quite fancy putting that on my business cards! Sounds far more professional I think.
Maybe we should chain ourselves to the gates of no 10. Will be a nice rest if anything! ill bring my pop up tents and some wine...

clareelizabeth1
23-03-2013, 03:43 PM
Thanks Sarah. I am always amazed at how much great work you do for us. I am with you all in staying independent. It's the reason I started I got it in to my head I could do better than the nursery I was working for and have a less stressful life and I do.

The Juggler
23-03-2013, 05:59 PM
I too will be independent for as long as I'm a childminder. When I'm not allowed to be any more I won't be minding :panic:

angeldelight
23-03-2013, 06:08 PM

My parents are the same

My daughters work at a nursery ...parents the same there have not got a clue

Some of my parents said they are not bothered !!

Angel xx

Jamik
24-03-2013, 12:31 PM
I have been a childminder for 25 yrs + and have seen and worked with many changes. There is no way I will work with agencies.

Chatterbox Childcare
24-03-2013, 04:22 PM
I am not worrying about being independant until something is put in writing. PACEY managed to get the independent ruling so now we have a choice anyway and are still working so that agencies are not formed.

Donkey
25-03-2013, 07:41 PM
I will remain independent...

:D

Daisy1956
25-03-2013, 09:16 PM
I am staying independent, never did like anyone making decisions for me.

Nicola Carlyle
25-03-2013, 09:48 PM
I will be staying independent unless someone is going to pay me £40,000 a year TAKE HOME, and with that does ALL my paperwork and planning!!!

Being serious though I'm just so confused by it all. Don't know if it will ever make sense!

Tweetybird
31-03-2013, 05:14 PM
This section is great Sarah and others.

I have been thinking the same as many of you. We became Registered childminders because we want to be independent self employed childcare professionals. Not answering and abiding by other peoples rules. Wanting to continue thinking for ourselves and put into practice "Best Practice" for the benefits of the children we dearly care for and give parents satisfaction and peace of mind.

We don't want to be governed and ruled by agencies checking up on us to see if we are abiding by this rule or that rule. It's an insult to our intelligence. We are capable of running our own business because that's what we are and do - Self employed Childcare Professionals. We don't want to be babysat!!!!

I'm am annoyed by the gov't always wanting to get a piece of anything that looks like its thriving. STAY STRONG AND HOLD ON TO YOUR INDEPENDENCE :clapping:

LOVE U ALL :D

Simona
31-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Chatterbox Childcare I think we need to be realistic: agencies are coming and the fact the pilots are only going to be from Sept to Dec is rather revealing!

we need to send a strong message on why 'remaining independent is best, what we need in place when agencies arrive, or if that is missing where we get the support and training required and how we get parents to come to us for enquiries...brain working away on these at the moment!

As far as I am concerned I have been 'independent' for many many years apart from the statutory training offered by LA the rest I have bought independently and have had no input from EY at all...still got a degree and managed Outstanding all by myself
sorry I lie... I got my first visit 2 weeks ago from my consultatnt to tick their boxes just by answering all questions on their targets sheet...

What I woud like to know how much LAs get funded for cms' support and when not provided what do they do with the money?
I know that is what gets Truss annoyed and now she is acting on it by providing agencies!
How many times over the last many many years cms have complained at the discrepancy in support and the fact some LAs provided networks while others didn't starting a two tier system that now will become multi layered....

I can't remember how many articles I have written on the 'exclusive' club that is the networks, how many politicians I have written to since 2008

Unfortunately our representing associations did not listen to us and what will they do now? stop the agencies from being formed?
While everyone is up in arms about ratios and all are asked to sign petitions ...how many have signed the one against agencies and who, apart from PACEY, has actually come out against agencies? PLA? UKCMA? *******? most of them are sitting around the DfE table developing the agencies but as 'observers'...who are they kidding?
I know tomorrow is April's fool!!!

lesleyslack
21-04-2013, 11:39 AM
i will remain independant

JaneyB
28-04-2013, 10:31 AM
Thank you for doing this. I will be an independent childminder until I can see that to be part of an agency benefits the children I care for AND benefits me. I cannot see this ever happening!

Please let me know if there is anything that I can do to help.

Andrea08
15-05-2013, 02:47 PM
I will never join an agency independent to the end or ill pack it all in....

Hi sarah chat soon hun x:thumbsup:

Andrea08
11-10-2013, 04:18 PM
may i just mention if we have no choice but to join an agency and pay a fee too would you be passing the fees on to parents coz i will.
so how does this make childcare cheaper for parents? and if an agency is going to dictate the fees unless they are inline with what we charge now
what are our options? we cant all open up agencies... there will be no childminders to manage lol
i was hoping they would just give more control and assessments etc to LA no more ofsted inspections just our development worker visits?
its all very upsetting

bindy
11-10-2013, 05:23 PM
The day I join an agency is the day I pack in.

Bumble Beez
11-10-2013, 05:26 PM
The day I join an agency is the day I pack in.

Seconded...I will give up childminding if I am forced to join an agency :D

Sarah x

Simona
11-10-2013, 05:45 PM
I forgot about this thread...good to revisit
Nothing has really changed ..still as clear as mud!
apart from the fact agencies are 'trialling' not piloting, apparently there is a slight difference
The other is that PLA has really come out against them and been very vocal and other providers are coming out against them too.

Lets not worry about fees...we need to know what agencies will charge and who picks up the bill...so far it seems it will be cms otherwise parents fees will go up as for the rest of us I would guess our fee will be reviewed

The nasty surprise, for me at least, was that 10 out 0f 20 agencies are LAs....and they will have to charge cms to stay sustainable
As for those who want to stay 'independent' we have to wait but must be sure we find support, advice, face to face help and training that matches that on offer to agency cms because for them it will be part of the package...for us not so sure without LAs support but there are independent trainers who will step in.

And lastly the C&F Bill will have amendements to make all cms in an agency 'registered and inspected'...so that will change everything as Ofsted will make no savings if that is passed
And if that goes ahead we are still going to be independent?

We must follow development very closely and continue to object to them... we have just over 2 months before the trials are over and we will be consulted on agencies!

If agencies will be made compulsory Truss will have a lot to answer for because that will be a broken promise