PDA

View Full Version : SPITTING IN THE STREET

angeldelight
21-03-2013, 09:40 AM
I just read that in Doncaster they are going to start fining anyone in the street that does this

What do you think

Do you think a fine is over the top

Or do you think it's disgusting and you should get a fine

Do you think people should get fined anywhere they live

Do you see people do this ....have you never?

Would you say anything if you saw this or would you walk away in disgust

Views please

Angel xx

QualityCare
21-03-2013, 10:29 AM
l think its disgusting and yes they should fine those caught doing it but l can't see it working the same as litter droppers, people who don't clear up after their dogs and other anti social behaviors.Who would do it there's never a policeman about when you need one, perhaps they should train up traffic wardens to do it our town is full of them.

bunyip
21-03-2013, 10:51 AM
I suspect you'll have problems with enforcement and/or the willingness of the authorities to act. As previously mentioned, it's the same as dog mess. My parish councillor has tried to act on this and found out the dog warden (there are only 3 in our borough) has to actually see the mess leave the dog's behind in order to prosecute. Spitting may well be the same, and I can't see the police or even the PCSO Keystones patrolling the streets to catch spitters in the act.

Also, in my last job we tried to enforce an existing railway byelaw against spitting. The company's legal department called one of my managers and instructed her to drop the matter as quietly as possible with immediate effect. She was advised that there were "cultural sensitivities" involved and the company didn't want an E&D row on its hands. :(

kellyskidz!
21-03-2013, 11:43 AM
I'm from doncaster and the amount of people you see spitting in the streets in unreal. I've seen fully grown men ( AND women ) doing it and I say good on Doncaster Council for at least trying to stop it. It's true that the ban may be hard to enforce but so is fining someone for not picking up dog waste or cigarette ends but it's a deterent and I hope it helps to make Doncaster a nicer town to live in because at the moment it's going way downhill

scottishlass
21-03-2013, 12:15 PM
I don't like seeing people spitting but don't see it that often - am much more bothered about all the dogs dirt in my area - meant to be fines but rarely hear of it happening! Is always everyone right outside school too - drives me mad as all the way to school and back I constantly find myself saying watch your feet for all the dirt all over the pavements!

bunyip
21-03-2013, 12:38 PM
I'm from doncaster and the amount of people you see spitting in the streets in unreal. I've seen fully grown men ( AND women ) doing it and I say good on Doncaster Council for at least trying to stop it. It's true that the ban may be hard to enforce but so is fining someone for not picking up dog waste or cigarette ends but it's a deterent and I hope it helps to make Doncaster a nicer town to live in because at the moment it's going way downhill

But a law that is never enforced is no deterrent.

I regularly wait at a bus stop near to a dot-matrix speed indicator, and I observe drivers whilst waiting for the bus. 90%+ are speeding as they pass the sign, and 10-20% are on their mobile phones whilst driving. :angry:

kellyskidz!
21-03-2013, 03:09 PM
But a law that is never enforced is no deterrent.

I regularly wait at a bus stop near to a dot-matrix speed indicator, and I observe drivers whilst waiting for the bus. 90%+ are speeding as they pass the sign, and 10-20% are on their mobile phones whilst driving. :angry:

The fact it is there is a deterrent though- there's been nothing done about it before, if I was someone who spat in the street I might think twice if I knew I could be fined! I hope it is enforced, I'd love to see someone getting a fine for spitting- it's an awful thing to do.
I see the speeding past speed cams often too, always hope they get caught!

miffy
21-03-2013, 05:31 PM
I think it's disgusting - it makes me heave!

Never mind a fine, I think they should be made to clean it up themselves - might put a few off doing it again

Miffy xx

silvermist
21-03-2013, 07:04 PM
EWWWW! Spitting is the one thing that really repulses me. I remember watching football with my boys when they were younger and then going to watch ds play footy and he spat!!! I couldnt believe as they know its my pet hate. Anyway ds response to my ranting was...but the footballers do it on telly!!! Point taken but I really think its disgusting and I think footballers should be fined too.

Now I know some people will say its because they had an insect in their mouths blah blah blah... so what! Swallow it...you're being paid thousands of pounds...Im sure a little fly wont kill you!

Needless to say...my two sons now dont and wouldnt dare spit!

Sorry Ill climb down off my soap box now!!