PDA

View Full Version : Wondering about having an assistant.

Nicola Carlyle
19-03-2013, 07:56 PM
I was wondering if anyone could shed some light.

Its possible that in the near future I may have more under 5's due to sibling and existing mindees. On these days, whilst I'm sure I would be able to cope I am toying with the idea that I might like to hire an assistant.

What are the rules?
- am I allowed only to use them for a few hours a day?
- how much do I pay them?
- how long can they be left alone with children if at all?
- am I allowed to increase my numbers on the days they are here?

Thus is all a new concept to me and something I just assumed I would never even contemplate so don't have very much information on the subject.

All advice is much appreciated.

Little miss
19-03-2013, 08:15 PM
I'd be I interested to know this too. Think I've read you can only leave an assistant alone with mindees for up to two hours a day.

*daisychain*
20-03-2013, 07:27 AM
I can't really help with the payment side if things because I work with hubby as my assistant and don't pay him! Once I registered him with ofsted and he done his first aid and had signed permission off parents I could leave him in sole care for no more than two hours, so he can do the school run.
I think a lot of people who are assistants are self employed so they pay their own tax and NI .
Do check your With your LO to see if you need planning permission , this can take time and cost lots. I'm lucky that I don't need it.
I'm sure someone with more info will come along soon :)

sarah707
05-04-2013, 08:26 AM
I was wondering if anyone could shed some light.

Its possible that in the near future I may have more under 5's due to sibling and existing mindees. On these days, whilst I'm sure I would be able to cope I am toying with the idea that I might like to hire an assistant.

What are the rules?
- am I allowed only to use them for a few hours a day?

You can use them for as long as you want it's up to you what agreement / contract you write with them

- how much do I pay them?

You need to chat to your assistant and agree a figure.

- how long can they be left alone with children if at all?

The EYFS 2012 and Childcare Registers allow assistants to be left unattended with children for up to 2 hours a day. You should record this.

- am I allowed to increase my numbers on the days they are here?

You should check the ratios section of the EYFS for further information.

Thus is all a new concept to me and something I just assumed I would never even contemplate so don't have very much information on the subject.

All advice is much appreciated.

There is a new thread about assistants which might give you some more information-

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/registered-assistants-co-minders/117086-registering-assistant-advice.html#post1234379

I hope this helps! :D

Octopus DayCare
21-04-2013, 02:59 PM
I work with an Assistant at the moment and did a bit of research when i took her on.
* You have to pay at least minimum wage.
* you can employ them for as many or as few hours as you require.
* You can only leave them alone with the children if they have had Paediatric first aid training and Ofsted like to see a copy.

When i have an assistant I am allowed to double my number of children. But check this applied with you with Ofsted first as i know they also go by the size of the property you childmind in.

Hope this is helpful! x

Nicola Carlyle
21-04-2013, 05:26 PM
I work with an Assistant at the moment and did a bit of research when i took her on.
* You have to pay at least minimum wage.
* you can employ them for as many or as few hours as you require.
* You can only leave them alone with the children if they have had Paediatric first aid training and Ofsted like to see a copy.

When i have an assistant I am allowed to double my number of children. But check this applied with you with Ofsted first as i know they also go by the size of the property you childmind in.

Hope this is helpful! x

That all sounds fab. Have just sent off ey2 form for my husband and a friend. Any ideas as to how long it takes for them to be approved or not?

Octopus DayCare
26-04-2013, 05:40 PM
I did the same for my husband. It took 4 weeks for him to be approved but now with the new Ofsted changes you do not need to wait for their EY2 to be approved if they have already got a valid CRB check. Otherwise you do need to wait.
Hope it comes through quickly for you.
x

funemnx
26-04-2013, 06:53 PM
I've had assistants on and off for the last 3 years and have just registered a new one - we agreed a daily rate of £45 8-3.30 so that she could do the school runs with me. I haven't increased my numbers yet but have a lot of children for the school run in the morning due to several over 8's. Although they aren't included in my numbers I just felt better having another pair of hands and eyes available. Although at the moment I pay her a daily rate I will only need her for the school runs for now but it will help a lot in the future when 2 children add another day and also another mum back off maternity leave so will have her 2 lo's sometimes as well on the 1 day. At the moment she won't have her first aid but I hope she will want to take it within the next few months. I've never employed someone I didn't know which in many ways has made it much easier to work with someone else, in fact my new assistant is the daughter of my last assistant who is on maternity leave at the moment. Although I like working with an assistant, I would prefer to work on my own, I hope it works out well for you :thumbsup: