PDA

View Full Version : Sunflowers

helena_j
19-03-2013, 03:51 PM
Help!!! My son came out if preschool sobbing as his sunflower had started growing so they were sent home with them, his snapped off when come out he was inconsolable:-( have planned on growing them with minded children and have new seed this however is no consolation to him as it was his special thing to show us from nursery!
If I cut it down to the soil will it start to grow again does anyone know?

QualityCare
19-03-2013, 03:56 PM
ahhhh poor little lad, have no idea if it will start to grow again but you could try cutting it down letting him help and then plant another one in an identical pot without him knowing that way if his doesn't start to grow you can swap it without him knowing.

helena_j
19-03-2013, 04:06 PM
ahhhh poor little lad, have no idea if it will start to grow again but you could try cutting it down letting him help and then plant another one in an identical pot without him knowing that way if his doesn't start to grow you can swap it without him knowing.

Thank you, think will try that I was so heartbroken seeing him cry (I am soppy) just horrible when they have been proud and talking of something they have to show you then it breaks. :-(

clareelizabeth1
19-03-2013, 05:01 PM
You could even pop another seed in his pot after he has gone to bed right next to the broken stem then if the old one doesn't regrow it will look like it has.

sarah707
19-03-2013, 06:25 PM
They get eaten by the snails when they go outside anyway :laughing:

Sorry that's not helpful :blush: It won't re-grow - but why not let him make a cress or grass head now while he's waiting for another seed to germinate.

Cress is pretty much instant growing gratification :D

Daisy1956
19-03-2013, 08:51 PM
Agree with Sarah once the stem is broken it won't re-grow, I would plant another,(maybe two) it will soon start to grow, keep a little diary so he can see how long it is taking to grow, measure it every few days and note in diary, adds a bit more interest.

Jenna
19-03-2013, 09:44 PM
Oh bless him that's so sad he must have been really proud if it too. I'd defiantly plant another and maybe some cress to grow quickly whilst waiting for his new sunflower.

MessybutHappy
19-03-2013, 10:47 PM
Hugs to your little man!
I agree, plant another seed next to it!

jo.jo76
19-03-2013, 11:52 PM
Bless him, think I would of cried too! I'd pop another seed in the pot. We had awful trouble with slugs eating everything last year, so maybe keep it indoors till it gets too big :)