PDA

View Full Version : Hope someone can help me with planning!

Dragonfly
19-03-2013, 10:12 AM
I have a child who is nearly three and a half, he doesn't have any particular interest seem's to like most thing's.( asked mum to list his interest's at home and she sent a A4 list of just about everything!).I am stuck when it come's to planning and particularly NEXT STEPS as what do i put? I asked a nursery teacher for advice and she said it was tough one, but no advice so think we all must be in the same boat thought it was just me.
Any help I would be very grateful as this is my weak point, I got a good at my last inspection but would like to be better at my planning/next steps.

phoenix2010
19-03-2013, 11:32 AM
Is he a new child ? have you completed a starting points evaluation on him yet ?

Look at the development matters in his ages group and see what he is doing already and what he needs support to achieve

then you should have a list of things that he is not quite doing yet

plan activities that will encourage him to meet those milestones , as you get to know him better you will discover what he prefers to do , and how he prefers to learn

Dragonfly
19-03-2013, 12:42 PM
No he is not a new child. Very able little boy who I would say is doing all the right things for a child his age. Am trying to encourage writing and recognising words etc.

VeggieSausage
19-03-2013, 01:54 PM
I think you need to look up in the Development Matters document where he is in each area of learning and then pick either an interest, where he needs help with something or a development step within the Development Matters document to work on it as a next step. Note the next step and then plan some activities to support it, note evidence of activities and progress and if you feel that child can now do that thing move onto another one. At 3.5 - PD - moving and handling - observe how he is holding a pen etc.

I would get an A4 sheet, write on it the date, his name and age. Write down where you think he is for each area of learning according to the development matters document. Then choose an area to work on and observe. If you are really lost with him you may need to take an area of learning for the next 7 days you have him and do an assessment of where he is.....where are you with his learning journey then?

Dragonfly
19-03-2013, 02:37 PM
Thank you for your helpful replies.

phoenix2010
19-03-2013, 06:33 PM
No he is not a new child. Very able little boy who I would say is doing all the right things for a child his age. Am trying to encourage writing and recognising words etc.

Well theres no harm looking at the next age bracket and pushing him on :)

sarah707
19-03-2013, 06:48 PM
At 3 1/2 you can start introducing him to a range of activities to support his learning - as long as the prime areas are well established.

So... find an interesting subject like Easter... get a relevant book and some activity ideas... ask him what types of things he would like to do such as making Easter buns, a card for parents, learn a rabbit song, go shopping for some mini eggs etc.

let him do his own planning - he will get better at it every time you work with him on it.

He will also be engaged and learning because he has chosen what he wants to do.

Hth :D

Mrs.L.C
19-03-2013, 08:54 PM
If hes interest in almost anything you could go anywhere with the planning. We care for a very able child whos just 4 years. we have been using the oxford read write inc sounds flash cards to do letter sounds and now blending them to make words this led onto Parents are doing the same. We also look at prices when we go to the shop then play shops at home. Mixing colours and using extended words like primary secondary colours. we use different tools to paint, roller, prints, hands, feet etc
Lots of different arts and crafts
ICT
Role play
Small world (talking and acting out every day life etc)

I only plan a couple of things a week and the rest is child led or unplanned. We are at the end stage of the EYFS in most areas