18-03-2013, 09:14 PM
Newsflash....

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21833929

Nicola Carlyle
18-03-2013, 09:58 PM
Interesting reading! xxx

FussyElmo
18-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Mmm are they not actually losing money if they can claim £1800 a year now but £1200 under the new scheme.

Also its only going to be available to both parents who move work. Yeah wasnt it supposed to making the incentive for people to go back to work.

Cynical head is firmly attached now :rolleyes:

hectors house
18-03-2013, 10:02 PM
More money wasted on thinking up more schemes that won't work and seems unfair that both parents have to be working to claim it back.

Simona
18-03-2013, 10:04 PM
What they are offering is much less than c/vouchers worth £2916 per parent...
Watch BBC newsnight for the full report on this 'new offer'...well worth getting one's blood pressure up!

SammySplodger
18-03-2013, 10:15 PM
I am unable to write much more on this thread without using expletives. It's not good for my blood pressure...

starlight1
18-03-2013, 11:24 PM
It doesn't mention single parents either...

rickysmiths
19-03-2013, 12:53 AM
What they are offering is much less than c/vouchers worth £2916 per parent...
Watch BBC newsnight for the full report on this 'new offer'...well worth getting one's blood pressure up!

Childcare Voucher were not worth this to each parent!! They actually saved about £900 per year in tax and Ni each if the used the full £243 or £124 every month of the year.

I think you are confusing the saving with the amount they could put into Childcare Vouchers. Not the same thing.

rickysmiths
19-03-2013, 01:05 AM
As I understand it they will be able to claim 20% of childcare costs up to a total of £1200 (so if childcare costs are more than £6000 a year they will only get help on the first £600 as that is deemed to be the average annual cost of childcare!) year if both parents are working. If only one parent of two is working there will be no benefit it does not say anything about single parents.

The only difference between this proposed scheme and the current Childcare Vouchers is that the new one will apply to everyone and not depend on an employer to make the scheme available in the way they do with the current Voucher scheme.

However it means less help to a large number of families on top of no Child Allowance so the overall cost of Childcare is set to effectively rise again for the parent anyway, the childcarers won't make any more money!!

bunyip
19-03-2013, 07:24 AM
As I understand it they will be able to claim 20% of childcare costs up to a total of £1200 (so if childcare costs are more than £6000 a year they will only get help on the first £600 as that is deemed to be the average annual cost of childcare!) year if both parents are working. If only one parent of two is working there will be no benefit it does not say anything about single parents.

The only difference between this proposed scheme and the current Childcare Vouchers is that the new one will apply to everyone and not depend on an employer to make the scheme available in the way they do with the current Voucher scheme.

However it means less help to a large number of families on top of no Child Allowance so the overall cost of Childcare is set to effectively rise again for the parent anyway, the childcarers won't make any more money!!

That's easy - the Home Ofice plans have always been for single parents to be shot on sight. As we have all been told, they are solely responsible for all the nation's ills, and not the corrupt financiers and retired ex-pat millionaires who can still strangely claim their winter fuel allowance for living in the Maldives.

I expect the current headline-grabbing "assistance" to be countered more quietly at a later date when the money is taken away "with the other hand" - probably at one of those times known as a "good day to hide bad news".

The Whitehall lackey on the radio this morning made it sound great mathematically: 20% off with the new scheme plus 70% Tax Credit assistance plus £243+£243 pcm in vouchers. His casual abuse of statistics should mean we can all increase our fees and the government will give parents at least 120% of the cost of childcare. :)

Simona
19-03-2013, 08:13 AM
My understanding is that c/vs save each parent £100 per month in tax=£1200
Isn't that what Truss is proposing?...she is doing nothing new and parents have to wait until 2015
Who is going to fall for her proposals?
She is supposed to help now not in the year of the general election...very cynical

mummyMia
19-03-2013, 05:07 PM
It doesn't mention single parents either...

There is a brief mention: "To be eligible for the new support both parents will have to work - or the one parent in the case of lone parent families ..." :)

mummyMia
19-03-2013, 05:40 PM
I have just noticed that it will be 20% per child, not per family. So families with more than one child should be better off under the new scheme. :)

BBC News - Childcare costs scheme 'better for parents' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21842014)