PDA

View Full Version : Response from DfE to questions about agencies

sarah707
18-03-2013, 07:52 PM
A childminder has received this letter from DfE - I find it very interesting to note that -

1. They have a childminder agencies team!!

2. They are still trotting out the same people as those they have spoken to about agencies - when all the people in the list say they oppose them!!

3. Apparently over 40 organisations and individuals want to run the blumming things!! :(

What are your thoughts guys?? ............................

Thank you for your e-mail of 21 February to Elizabeth Truss, which has been passed to me for reply.
You raise concerns about consultation on childminder agencies and the importance of childminders who oppose agencies having the opportunity to share their views with the Minister.

Firstly can I reassure you that the Minister does not only want to speak to childminders who support agencies. Elizabeth Truss and DfE officials have met with childminders who support agencies and those who are not convinced. We have met a wide range of people to discuss developing childminder agencies and childcare reform more generally. For example, the Minister has met with representatives from the National Children’s Bureau, the National Childminding Association and the Pre-school Learning Alliance. She also recently held an evening meeting with a group of childminders with differing views on agencies, where they were able to engage in an open debate on the issues, and expressed a wide cross-section of views.

We have received a significant number of enquiries so far from individuals and organisations interested in running agencies, including individual childminders and childminder networks and recently hosted an event for over 40 such organisations. We have also spoken to hundreds of childminders through a range of meetings and events throughout the last six months, including one in Kettering last October.

We are listening to a range of views. Childminder agencies are intended to build on and complement existing childcare provision. Home-based childcare forms a vital part of early education in this country and childminder agencies will help to bring more childminders into the profession, increasing the availability of flexible childcare for parents; and help to improve outcomes for children through quality assurance and peer support for childminders. There are opportunities to influence how agencies will operate. We welcome the views of childminders on how we can work together to make agencies a success. We are now considering how best to involve individual childminders further. If you would like to be involved in this work, please e-mail Childminder.AGENCIES@education.gsi.gov.uk with your contact details and we will let you know about any further events in your area.

Finally, I would like to reassure you that plans around childminders will continue to offer the option of individual Ofsted registration and inspection for those childminders that want it.

Yours sincerely,

Childminder Agencies Team
Home - Welcome (http://www.education.gov.uk)

snortlet
18-03-2013, 08:07 PM
If she did meet with childminders in Kettering (Northants, where NCA headquarters are!!) it has not been been made public knowledge!

SYLVIA
18-03-2013, 08:24 PM
It mentions all these people keen to run agencies, has it said how many childminders want to join them? I get a feeling they are making this sound all so right and perfect but actually they have no backing from the people who matter. So frustrating!

sarah707
18-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Well we have an email address we can write to now... so let's all send in our questions and keep them nice and busy in their new jobs :cheerleader:

Ripeberry
18-03-2013, 08:33 PM
Why should we trust them? Where is the evidence?:mad:

loocyloo
18-03-2013, 09:12 PM
there is a report of the meeting truss held on the 4th march with childminders ... PACEY Local (http://local.**************/conversation/ask/in-politics/f/382/t/2522.aspx)

i have emailed and asked to be informed about meetings etc .... because you can't change anything if not 'in' in the first place!

Simona
18-03-2013, 09:12 PM
Sarah...they probably have an 'agency room' sealed from the outside just in case they hear a cm saying NO to agencies and patrolled by Truss making sure those who respond to us, and they are different each time, copy and paste the same reply over and over....insulting!!

AgentTink
18-03-2013, 09:25 PM
there is a report of the meeting truss held on the 4th march with childminders ... PACEY Local (http://local.**************/conversation/ask/in-politics/f/382/t/2522.aspx)

i have emailed and asked to be informed about meetings etc .... because you can't change anything if not 'in' in the first place!

Thank you for this link Loocyloo, makes very interesting reading. How speaking to 9 childminders who didn't have time to put their view across is meant to be involving childminders on agency discussions just goes to prove truss doesn't want to hear negativity to her idea, however they will be able to say that they did consult with us. :panic:

The Juggler
18-03-2013, 09:34 PM
thanks for posting this Sarah. I've e-mailed to be added to their list of "events"? I'd love to know how or who they selected to speak to about running agencies - how did they chose their 40 invitees I wonder? Again selecting those who are interested rather than inviting those who are not and same thing with the childminders they have met with.

Makes my blood boil. This is going ahead regardless. I was speakign to local midners today. The only way we can stop it working at a local level I believe is to all ignore the agencies, set up a local type group and forum supporting each other and offering the same type of "finding" service for parents with a couple of co-ordinators for each area - but run for free. That way we should put the flippin agencies out of business before they begin.

:angry:

Simona
18-03-2013, 09:40 PM
The only problem is that we need the blooming LAs to provide us with some training unless we could find training providers willing to do it for the 'independent' cms?
I am sure in the end that may happen if the LAs disappear but the could become stakeholders in *******? then what...we must think ahead!

SammySplodger
18-03-2013, 09:41 PM
thanks for posting this Sarah. I've e-mailed to be added to their list of "events"? I'd love to know how or who they selected to speak to about running agencies - how did they chose their 40 invitees I wonder? Again selecting those who are interested rather than inviting those who are not and same thing with the childminders they have met with.

Makes my blood boil. This is going ahead regardless. I was speakign to local midners today. The only way we can stop it working at a local level I believe is to all ignore the agencies, set up a local type group and forum supporting each other and offering the same type of "finding" service for parents with a couple of co-ordinators for each area - but run for free. That way we should put the flippin agencies out of business before they begin.

:angry:

Funnily enough I was thinking a similar thing myself... Am going to a local CM meeting on Thursday, hoping to discuss how we will deal with the local Agency 'competition'.

Bicky
18-03-2013, 09:43 PM
The way the last paragraph is worded makes it clear agencies are going ahead no matter what the opinion of this democratic country in which we live thinks. :angry:
Yet again more evidence that this Government doesn't care about reality as long as they can line their own pockets and the pockets of their supporters.
If set up in a certain way these agencies could be a licence for those running them to make a tidy profit while screwing over the hardworking members with red tape and hidden cost for doing nothing.

Simona
18-03-2013, 09:46 PM
No doubt they are going ahead but they need cms to join..no?? Cms are tough and many will be very reluctant to relinquish their autonomy...a few will ..we'll see

SammySplodger
18-03-2013, 09:48 PM
The only problem is that we need the blooming LAs to provide us with some training unless we could find training providers willing to do it for the 'independent' cms?
I am sure in the end that may happen if the LAs disappear but the could become stakeholders in *******? then what...we must think ahead!

There will be a need, ie: business opportunity, for training courses for Indy CMs, not attached to any kind of agency. Surely somebody will identify that as a gap in the market?

Locally I know where to find First Aid training, but the other courses I'm not sure about (yet). Surely PACEY will still provide some online stuff & webinars? It might be easier than we think. Just need to share the info amongst ourselves.

The Juggler
18-03-2013, 09:54 PM

Simona our LA's charge for our training anyway, they haven' t offered first aid for years so often we organise groups together to take first aid courses together. I reckon it'd be fine. We'd look for "speakers", guage interest in attendance -for worthwhile training not some LA bod spouting from a workbook - find regular training providers for the essentials (first aid, safeguarding).

I think groups of local CM's supporting each other is def. the way to go and if we can share the burden of organisation and offer parents the same level of service as an agency would i.e. a find and search, options for emergency cover, I reckon we can keep the parents calling us too :thumbsup:

Simona
18-03-2013, 10:14 PM
I know that some LAs charge but I think many more will go down that route...we are lucky in my area but it won't last
I am sure LAs will offer training to agencies...but can they leave us out? that would be discriminatory and what i have been saying, an obstacle to running our businesses fairly
Pacey training is not free anymore so, only PLA do a good package but I think they may be helping ******* with their training (will find out soon)so what is the option?
Yes ..independent cms will have to put on their 6 thinking hats soon

hectors house
18-03-2013, 10:15 PM
I have done courses with Switch Training before - just had a look at their website and it would appear they have extended their range of childcare courses - they only used to do First aid, manual handing and food hygiene - they are based in Wiltshire but I expect similar companies exist elsewhere.

First Aid for Child Carers
Certificate & Diploma (QCF) for Children and Young People's Workforce
Food Safety for Childcarers
Health and Safety in the Childcare Setting
Moving and Handling in the Childcare Setting
Safeguarding Children
HIV Awareness
Child Nutition and Health
Positive Behaviour Management
Personal Safety Awareness
Observing Children
Introduction to the EYFS
Certificate and Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce

I may be doing my Safeguarding with them as our "Jobs worth" council said they may not be able to run ours as although it has got twice as many childminders apply than they can accommodate, it has to be "multi agency" ie: childminders and nurseries, foster parents etc - and as only childminders have applied they would rather cancel it and leave us all in the :censored: than bend the rules!

The Juggler
18-03-2013, 10:17 PM
I know that some LAs charge but I think many more will go down that route...we are lucky in my area but it won't last
I am sure LAs will offer training to agencies...but can they leave us out? that would be discriminatory and what i have been saying, an obstacle to running our businesses fairly
Pacey training is not free anymore so, only PLA do a good package but I think they may be helping ******* with their training (will find out soon)so what is the option?
Yes ..independent cms will have to put on their 6 thinking hats soon

i don't think the LA's will leave us out. I think agencies will commission training from whoever. If the agencies take off the main plan is to lose the LA teams anyway so I don't think that will be an issue.

SammySplodger
18-03-2013, 10:29 PM
I have never had free training from my LA, in fact they almost charged me £70 for an EYFS course they claimed I had to do before re-registering, which would cost £20 if I did it once registered! I phoned Ofsted for clarification and they said it was NOT required pre-reg as already covered by CYPOP5... I did CYPOP5 via NCMA (but paid £150 to my LA). Actually, the only LA run course I have done is EYFS... So, from my point of view it's not much different really.

I don't think it would be too hard to sort out training providers locally. And, as you can tell (from the prices quoted above) I am used to having to fork out for them.

SammySplodger
18-03-2013, 10:47 PM
UKCMA will be offering links to training:

http://www.*************/ontheweb/?page_id=14

SammySplodger
18-03-2013, 10:48 PM
Doh! Starred out but on their website under the training tab

SYLVIA
18-03-2013, 10:52 PM
Maybe the agencies coming in will make local childminders make the effort to group together and source training together and as already shown companies may begin to offer more varied training once they see a hole in the market

SammySplodger
19-03-2013, 12:18 AM
I don't think the Agencies can 'make' us do anything! Plenty of help & support out there for Independent Childminder training. UKNCMA are on the case and others too no doubt.

Simona
19-03-2013, 07:42 AM
Both NCMA and PLA are aware of *******...has there been a statement? No despite both paid by members to represent us!
I wrote to NCMA CEOs ...got a reply from someone alse...so pressing on now

Please lets not give any association the oxygen of life by going on and on...they are listening and changing things as we speak

what are we going to do...what is the next Plan once we get the launch?