PDA

View Full Version : Record of Achievements: how do you evidence the Characteristics of Effective Learning

Simona
17-03-2013, 04:58 PM
How do you evidence them in your children's formative and summative assessment?

moggy
17-03-2013, 07:26 PM
You don't need to evidence them, particularly. They are not something you can say they child 'can' or 'can't' do, they can not be measured. They are just about how the child learns.

I usually write a little paragraph about the CoEL in my termly reviews and include an example- like "X is an active learner and keep trying, when he was having a go at xxx he persisted and eventually achieved xxx...". One child can show elements of one, two or all the CoEL. I find each term when I write this review the CoEL is pretty much the same as the child's way of learning is unlikely to change much, it is like their personality. So I just update the examples to support the the CoEL I am quoting.

sarah707
18-03-2013, 06:09 PM
I try to link them to a little story or short observation ... my COL sheets run for 6 months between summary assessments because children's COL don't change that much over time.

So I might say - xx concentrated hard when he built a tower of bricks or xx was actively involved in doing a jigsaw - just little snapshots.

We are supposed to use the characteristics to inform future planning so I try to include bits from them when I remember but I find I know the children so well it's second nature to just do it - rather than write it down :rolleyes: :D

Simona
24-03-2013, 04:34 PM
Thanks for your replies
I do mine via the formative assessment and then highlight the COL via photos ...seems to work for me