PDA

View Full Version : High quality policy

Simona
17-03-2013, 01:01 PM
The vast majority of cms are against the higher ratios
I wonder if anyone has thought about writing a 'High quality' policy?
I have started doing mine in response to my current parents who are against it and in answer to prospective parents who have asked me 'how many children do you look after'.
It is very simple, just a statement that says I oppose the proposals, will keep to 3 under 5 and giving reasons why...main one to maintain high quality

I have also added that in exceptional circumstances I would consider 4 under 5 for short periods such as overlaps

rickysmiths
17-03-2013, 03:14 PM
No I won't be doing that because in some circumstances I am more than happy to and have done many times in the past, to look after 4 under 5s.

I am an experienced childminder and have no problem with looking after 4 under 5s and it does not reduce the care I give to the children in any way at all.

I have cared four 4 under fives for nearly 2 years at one point so no I would not commit to such a thing and I don't think that diminishes the quality of the care I offer at all and nor have any of my parents.

I wouldn't ever advise a childminder to write such a Policy.

I confess I haven't signed the Petitions with regard to numbers because I have no problem with the proposals for Childminders.

Many childminders have regularly, very successfully cared for 4 under fives and many like me have had the ability to care for 2 under ones on their certificates for a very long time.

I think making the kind of suggestions you are proposing undermines the professional abilities of many many childminders.

Of course if you feel more comfortable in your setting having a Policy such as this that is your choice and you alone know your own capabilities as I know mine.

Simona
17-03-2013, 03:41 PM
I am not recommending it just wondered if anyone has thought about it?
I know many who have considered it and have exchanged info about it.
I too have cared for 4 under 5 without a problem in the past and it was not meant to undermine anyone's ability. When I run my own preschool I had 8 in my care...obviously older and no babies!

I omitted to say that one of my reasons is that I like caring for after school children and continue their care from baby to end of primary school which would not work if I only had the under 5s.

I also have to say that having been a cm for 12 years I have never before been questioned by parents as to how many children I would care for...so in a way I am responding to their concerns.
Every one has a choice and, of course, policies are there to be updated as and when necessary especially when the age of those we care for varies!

The Juggler
17-03-2013, 03:44 PM
Simona I oppose the idea that it should be a blanket increase in ratios. I think the current system for having variations in exceptional circumstances works perfectly well and I think it should continue to work this way. The new self variation system is already open to 'loopholes' and people having 5 or 6 children under 5 years (or 3 years etc). This, without doubt would create a drop in quality if this was the normal rule. I think self variation is fine but controls should be tighter with a requirement to write to ofsted to inform them when we self vary and so they know and can question anything they feel is "not right" and I don't think any 1 person should be allowed to care for more than 4 children under the age of 5.

I also oppose the increase in ratios as I think that if nurseries all increase their numbers and offer more places this might have an adverse affect on childminders finding work and without a doubt decreasing quality of care in a nursery.

However, like Ricky I would not write a quality care policy as I think that this would undermine the circumstances where we do need to self vary. :)

phoenix2010
17-03-2013, 03:51 PM
I think its a good idea if you want to promise parents that

However, you might want to consider those times when its unavoidable

for example , I have a child who is collected at 12.30 and one that arrives at 1pm , occasionally mum has been late collecting and Ive had 4 children for up to an hour

plus I had one long term mindee needing an extra morning , taking me to 4 children , I agreed to do it , otherwise I may have lost that mindee and he might have had to settle in a new place

In both circumstance I felt that there was no drop in quality of my care , however I would reassure parents that this is not something I would want to do on a daily basis

So if a parent , new or old , asked me about this , that would be my answer , that sometimes it is the right thing to do but I wouldnt be seeking it

I would be very reluctant to back myself into a corner with a policy I had written but if you plan to never have 4 , then its a great unique selling point :D

sarah707
17-03-2013, 04:17 PM
A wise lady who used to work in law advised me - never make promises in policies and procedures - always use wording like -

I will attempt

I will make every effort to

I will try

If it is within my power I will

To the best of my ability

Etc etc :D

Simona
17-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Sorry I seem to have been misunderstood but I did cover overlaps...I love those anytime!!
As Sarah rightly says : I will try (things may change like age), to the best of my ability etc etc

I have not finished my policy and your input will help me reflect on how to word it correctly..not to stick to a promise I cannot keep or worry the parents i am going to have 6 every day...that will do the trick
Thank you for your thoughts