PDA

View Full Version : tablet help please

mushpea
17-03-2013, 11:10 AM
so ladies and gents, what do you have and how do find them?
my laptop is definatly on its way out now, I have a desk top computer but its old and slow although will do for paperwork and stuff but it takes ages to turn on so I thought instead of a laptop I would buy a tablet, I cant afford an ipad or the samsung one so wonded what others there were out there, basicly I want on that I can play the odd app on, go on the internet on and do my paperwork on, I use drop box so it will convert my documents to which ever thingy I have to open them, on my phone it will open them in kingsoft for example. so any ideas ?

blue bear
17-03-2013, 12:07 PM
I have an iPad but all my paperwork on the pc. I saw a write up yesterday,c ant remember where which talked about cheap tablets.versus iPad mini, the kindle fire hd most appealed to me put of them all. Think it was kobo, kindle, kindle fire and nook they reviewed.

singingcactus
17-03-2013, 12:16 PM
I have a samsung. I like it. The only gripes I have about it is it cannot print out on my printer. It requires a samsung printer. So I have to dump my stuff to dropbox, then turn on the lap top to print.
The tablet does not have the functionality of a laptop or pc though, nowhere close. It is a useful tool though. However, if I could only have one device it would be a high spec laptop. I use my LT for gaming, and other things that the tablet cannot do. I often find too, that certain files will not open on my tablet too, but I am sure I could buy some apps to take care of that. I just haven't bothered cos I just turn on the LT.

AgentTink
17-03-2013, 12:22 PM
I have looked at my partners ipad as a option for me having a tablet instead of having a desktop computer, however i just cannot do my paperwork on it, due to the fact that when typing certain things the touch screen pad is just too temperamental plus as i do quite alot if typing i cannot find a good postion in which to have the ipad to do so.

I have been looking at the new tablets that are a tablet in size however also have a keyboard on the back of them which you can flip out when you need to use it. However these are not cheap. A bit like this one Buy ACER Iconia W510 10.1 (http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/acer-iconia-w510-10-1-touchscreen-convertible-laptop-silver-19414905-pdt.html)

If you can happily do work on your phone then I dont see why you couldn't do it on a tablet, the Kindle Fire is meant to very good, and my aunty has a Samsung one which when i like go the other week was just as fast and easy as the ipad.

sarah707
17-03-2013, 12:23 PM
I don't think I could use my tablet for children's files... it's great for games, internet and bits and bobs but not for important stuff.

I have a samsung - I saved up then remembered I had loads of Tesco vouchers so I used those instead :D

shortstuff
17-03-2013, 01:26 PM
I have access to my OH's ipad but couldn't complete all of the paperwork on there so got myself a laptop.

If you are keen to buy a tablet and cant afford an expensive one like samsung or ipad my son bought himself an archos. It is really good and comparable to any other android tablet on the market. I believe the one he has is £100 usually but we managed to get it during a one day sale where it was £50. HTH