PDA

View Full Version : Next steps

PinkFairy24
15-03-2013, 09:38 PM
Hi,

I am totally lost as to next steps. Have read the enabling environments but a lot of this was on what I can do and not the children. Can you please help?

Thank you Xxx

karensmart4
15-03-2013, 09:43 PM
It's just how you can expand the child's interest and knowledge..... if they are interested in playing with cars, pushing them around etc. Next steps could be: use cars in messy play... run cars through shaving foam, look at the patterns the tyres make.... use different size cars, different size patterns etc.

Does that make sense?

PinkFairy24
16-03-2013, 03:54 PM
Thank you I think i get it! Xxx

karensmart4
16-03-2013, 07:34 PM
When I write a next step I add it to my planning for the following week/month and if the child enjoys and manages it, I take a photo and make a little note, put it in their LJ with a * written into planning on ____ date.

I don't always do next steps, sometimes I write .... continue with ....

Hope that helps :)

PinkFairy24
16-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Karen,

That sounds like a good idea! I was wondering how I could show that I was making sure to follow the next steps I wrote.

stacieepg
16-03-2013, 08:05 PM
I'm struggling with the same next steps and how to write them , is it what they would do as a next , i.e if they were toddling around the furniture next step be walk freely with out holding on or to encourage to walk freely and move toys further away ? :-)

MessybutHappy
16-03-2013, 08:09 PM
I found next steps tricky to start with. Now I think of next steps as the same as the baby who's learned to crawl, next steps will, literally, be steps...so how do I help baby achieve this. I often resort to writing "practice" for a while though, especially if it's a newly learned skill. Then I try to think of ways to encourage practice without the child getting bored, and in time you see that they're secure enough to move on and thats when you start to challenge. So a baby who's only just learned to sit won't be able to reach too far without toppling, so sitting practice is enough! Hth!!

stacieepg
16-03-2013, 08:23 PM
I'm really struggling with it I'm over thinking it I think I'm just don't no what to write as such how to word it xxx

Rick
16-03-2013, 08:46 PM
When I write a next step I add it to my planning for the following week/month and if the child enjoys and manages it, I take a photo and make a little note, put it in their LJ with a * written into planning on ____ date.

I don't always do next steps, sometimes I write .... continue with ....

Hope that helps :)

Yes brilliant. I do that too. Otherwise I find I get too many next steps that you'll never be able to do. Saying continue to do whatever is a kind of next step but you don't necessarily have to incorporate it in your planning. I tend to use it for, for example, a child learning to use a spoon.......continue to provide a spoon and assistance.