PDA

View Full Version : Forum petition against ratios changes

sarah707
14-03-2013, 06:58 PM
I have just been looking at the forum petition against ratios changes - www.keepratiosdown.co.uk.

An absolutely amazing 33.425 people have signed so far with more signing every hour of every day! :clapping: :clapping:

This says to me that ratios changes is a very unpopular Govt initiative and that Govt need to think seriously about their voting public and position in office if they push ahead with such a deeply unpopular plan :(

Then I look at all the press surrounding agencies for childminders - all the articles and comments on the internet - chat to childminders I meet day-by-day.

NONE of them want agencies once they realise how their businesses will be affected, especially when they lose free local support and have to pay for it instead - because someone will have to pay, agencies will be self funding don't forget.

Again - another very unpopular Govt initiative :(

And then I talk to childminders who know nothing at all about either of the issues - and who do not seem to want to find out because 'the govt will do what they want regardless' or 'it's not going to affect me'.

It will affect every single one of us - and we need to keep fighting it!

Here are just a few of the ways the Forum is helping you -

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/blogs/sarah707/54-childminders-reject-agencies.html

If you can think of anything else we can do please just ask! All suggestions will be considered.

Let's not sleepwalk into a childcare crisis guys please! :cheerleader::cheerleader:

SYLVIA
14-03-2013, 07:22 PM
I attended our local AGM last night the first one I actually managed to attend and only 2 childminders in the hall knew about agencies. Discussion became very heated when they were explained and how they will affect us in the near future. I can't understand why more informaton is not filtering through from the top. We get emails from our EY team about the festivals for each month/season but they are not sending information about these important issues.

hectors house
14-03-2013, 07:24 PM
Had letter today from House of Commons from my local MP - regarding the e-mails and letters I have sent him.

He says "I do appreciate the concerns that have been expressed by you and a number of others at the proposals. As this is a consultation at the moment I think we should await the outcome and the government's response before coming to a conclusion, but I am not sure that is fair to suggest that the minister in question is trying to rig the outcome simply because she is interested in hearing from those both for and against the proposals. It is a common feature in all consultative processes that those opposed tend to be more vocal than those for, and it is therefore necessary to at least judge the true balance of opinion. This is when Ms Truss only invited minders in favour of agencies to the meeting in Northampton

That is not to say that it is not entirely likely, from what you say, that the majority of childminders are expressing concerns which should be reflected in the outcome in due course. That then, I assume will require primary legislation if the decision is to move ahead, which will of course involve full parliamentary scrutiny and will no doubt take account of the objections raised."

This isn't a consultation is it, this is the real thing being read in the House of Lords already - surely a consultation was what we had about changes to EYFS last year and to the deregulation of childminders last Autumn?

sarah707
14-03-2013, 07:58 PM
It's a whitewash that's what it is :(

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/campaigns-petitions/115010-what-consultation.html