PDA

View Full Version : Relatives children... Can i mind

cathccook
30-06-2008, 01:03 PM
I am in the process of registering awaiting pre reg visit.
I am registering as at the moment i watch my sons children and if i become a child minder he will receive assistance for childcare and i will also get paid.
I will also be looking after another child.
Does anyone else mind family members children and does it cause any problems..

barbarella68
30-06-2008, 01:10 PM
Hello I mind for my brothers son and it causes me no problems what so ever. I always get paid on time ,if anything I feel that I am not really childminding it feels different somehow.:)

Rainy
30-06-2008, 01:38 PM
The only problem really is when they expect you to do it for nothing. I don't actually childmind for any relatives but when there is a baker day at school or the school holidays then i always seem to get a phone call saying "im stuck for childcare can you have them" My neice broke her arm just before christmas and was off school for 3 weeks.I had her a couple of days each week and although they got me a box of chocolates to say thanks, the money would have been so much better.

sarah707
30-06-2008, 03:06 PM
Ofsted do not like minders who only work for relatives or grand children.

It's best not to tell them ... or of course to emphasise that you are going to be looking for other children :D

LOOPYLISA
30-06-2008, 06:14 PM

It's best not to tell them ... or of course to emphasise that you are going to be looking for other children :D

Hi ill be minding my neice when registered,can i ask why don,t they like it?

barbarella68
30-06-2008, 07:01 PM
Hi like I said I mind for my nephew and I have got 3 other mindees not related,I really don't know why Ofsted get funny about minding for relatives after all we have to pay the bills,and they are the ones who say we have to be registered to look after our own family members.:mad:

sarah707
30-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Hi ill be minding my neice when registered,can i ask why don,t they like it?

I don't know why, I just know they don't ... if you are onlyminding family.

It's one of those nuggets of information I've picked up over the years.

I know you have to be registered though to get tax credits ... just another Ofsted inconsistency I suppose.

Someone else might know the background. Sorry.

Pudding Girl
30-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Yes we were told this at our pre reg so not just Ofsted who don't like it, neither do Care Commission!

It was stressed that you need to be actively looking for other unrelated children. Obviously they can't say much if you genuinely can't get another mindee though!

I suppose it all comes down to people who were looking after a family members children for nothing anyway - who register just so family members can claim the cost of childcare from govt, and scam it - NOT that I am suggesting anyone here does that!

cloud9
01-07-2008, 03:36 PM
i looked after my niece and it became quite hard especially when she was ill and i had to say she couldn't come and her parents had to take time off, they expected more to be more 'flexible' with this as i was family even though i explained originally she would be treated like all my other mindees.

Mollymop
01-07-2008, 03:47 PM

Yes i was told this as well, from my inspector. Should be ok though if you are looking after children that are not relatives.