PDA

View Full Version : Mindee less than 10hrs

It's a small world
13-03-2013, 10:12 AM
If you have a child less than 10 hours - or 1 day a week do you have to do a LJ ? Is there a set amount of hours required to produce one or would you do a scrapbook ?? Children are 9 months and 2 years

Mouse
13-03-2013, 10:29 AM
A LJ isn't a legal requirement for any child. What you have to do is show that you know the child's starting points and can track & help with development. How you do that is entirely up to you. If you don't think a LJ is appropriate and if you think a scrapbook could show al the info you need, then stick to that.

I have a lo who comes for 4 hours a week (2 hours a day for 2 days). I send weekly emails to his parents telling them what he has been doing, what I have noticed, what he's been interested in. I will mention the areas of learning that we've covered for some of the activities and I do say what I plan to do with him the following week, so I'm happy I cover everything without putting i in a LJ.

bunyip
13-03-2013, 10:32 AM
Noboby ever has to do a LJ, scrapbook, or anything else.

In regulatory terms, here is what the CM must fulfil:-

There are three legal requirements relating to children’s learning and development in the Early Years Foundation Stage, which are the:
 early learning goals
 educational programmes
 assessment arrangements.
All registered providers, including childminders, must meet these unless they have an exemption
(taken from Requirements for written documents: childminders delivering the Early Years Foundation Stage - A childcare factsheet Ofsted document 120339, published 2013)

It's pretty much up to you how you do this and if/how you record it for the purpose of your own summative assessments; informing parental discussions and progress reviews; and providing evidence to Ofsted inspectors.

The scope of your observations will naturally need to be in proportion to the amount of time a lo spends at your setting. You don't say whether the child goes to another 'main' EY setting for more hours. Certainly if that is the case, then EYFS Statutory Frameork 1.3 will apply:-

Wrap around and holiday providers should be guided by, but do not necessarily have to meet, all the learning and development requirements. Providers should discuss with parents and/or carers (and other practitioners and providers as appropriate) the support they intend to offer, seeking to complement learning in settings in which children spend more time.)

Hope this helps. :)

Zoomie
13-03-2013, 10:58 AM
I have a mindee for 8 hours a week and it never occurred to me to not do a LJ. I get plenty of observations from her and subsequently plan for her learning whilst she is here.

However, if I had a child for say less than 5 hours a week and a lot of that time was taken up with meals / school run, I would probably incorporate the LJ info into their diary

supermumy
13-03-2013, 12:18 PM
I had mindee for 8hours week I still did the same I would any other child
By time she left her lj was lovely full of pics etc

It's a small world
13-03-2013, 01:35 PM
Thanks advised friend if she wants to do a small scrapbook then add this to LJ . Or just start with LJ and take lots of photos she will soon see she has alot of info to fill in a LJ linking EYFS. Think my friend is concerned that LJ wont be filled as mindee only 9 mths. Advised she may be surprised . I have a mindee one day a week about 6-8 hours and alot of that time is filled with school runs and sleep. My LJ only has on average 2 obs a month for this child but can sometimes have more. I just wanted to check if she needed to do one. I thought she had to do something but wasnt sure what was required , so thank you for advice i have passed it on xx