PDA

View Full Version : I've got a paperwork headache! Thank you Sarah707 for all your free resources

13Katrina
12-03-2013, 11:24 PM
My first child started two weeks ago - she's 8 months old and comes to me one day per week for 10 hours. My own daughter is 13 months, so not a huge age difference.

I've completed all of the NCMA paperwork (child record, contract and medical) for my mindee plus signed off my policies and permission forms.

Now, I started looking through the free downloads under EYFS my brain nearly exploded. I take my hat of to Sarah707 for giving so much of her expertise freely but OMG where do you find the time to do so much?

I totally have no idea where to start with my mindee. Of course I've been observing her and have made some initial observations but should I do an all about me booklet and ask the parents to fill it in? Should I ask for anything else from them?

I think I have two more mindees starting soon - age 20 months and 4 (only until he starts school in September), so really want to get this starting with me bit sussed.

Also, feeling anxious to get this right before Mrs O comes knocking for my first graded inspection (I really want to get a good!)

Any hints and tips would be much appriciated.

Koala
13-03-2013, 03:32 AM
RELAX

Open a bottle of wine and take things one step at a time

There is such a lot to take on board at first and it can be overwhelming so don't try and do too much at once, remember Sarah 707 hasn't just done this overnight, I am sure she will be the first to agree it takes time and commitment to have the confidence to stand on your own two feet.

When I first started I found the pre printed child record books (lots of places sell them) good as it gave me prompts and covered all areas that need to be addressed which is particularly good for the EYFS and it was one less thing to worry about. 10 years later I am more than confident to compile my own.

Don't rush, relax, be happy

:cool:

13Katrina
13-03-2013, 12:14 PM
Thank you Koala.

Can anyone advise where I can buy a pre-printed child record book?

It's just a tiny bit overwhelming. I get what we need to do and I'm doing it my head, just confused how to document it all. Like for example my mindee showed a massive interest in a ball at a play group - she played with it for over an hour and then at soft play another day just crawled around after a ball pit ball. So I've collected up lots of ball shaped objects for her to explore at home. How do I record all of that?!! LOL Maybe I'm being a little bit thick! So that was an activity based on what she had shown an interest in. I also planned song time and a touchy feely book time (my daughters current favourite interests). This my mindee hasn't shown an interest in specifically but obviously it is an age appropriate activity.

Also, as my mindee only attends once a week should I mix up the groups I go to, so we attend a selection of different things?! Obviously if she came everyday I wouldn't worry, as over the course of a week we'd normally attend all sorts of things.

Thanks for reading.

sarah707
13-03-2013, 06:16 PM
Sorry to give you a headache! :laughing:

I use a play plan - I record observations, planning (group and individual) and sharing with parents on the same document.

It's here if you want to take some ideas from it -

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/activity-ideas/112861-chinese-new-year-feb-week-1-planning.html

Hth :D

sineadquinn
13-03-2013, 08:10 PM
I'm

So glad someone else posted this as I'm having the same problem. I had an 18 month old start two weeks ago and another 18 month old start yesterday and I've done no paperwork at all!! Like you said I know in my head what I need to do but haven't a clue where to start putting it on paper. I have looked at your example Sarah and has been a big help.

Also I'm booked on to planning and obs training next week so I'm hoping that helps :-) might be worth speaking to your la to see if there's one in your area.