PDA

View Full Version : Sleep peeing

phoenix2010
12-03-2013, 09:41 AM
I have a problem , im wondering if theres a solution

Its my son who is 6, Im grateful that he no longer wets the bed and does manage to get up and pee , however he really isnt fussy where he does it

I know hes not doing it on purpose , hes kind of half asleep / sleep walking and hes convinced that he is doing it in the toilet

Hes got out of bed and peed on the floor , then go tback in bed , hes come into my room and peed all over a pile of clean washing , hes opened draws and peed in toy boxes , he even came downstairs one night , opened the fridge door and peed in there , i had to throw all my food away and disinfect the fridge

He doesnt remember the next day , mostly he does it about 11pm and im still up so rush upstairs and direct him to toilet or if im too late like last night , step in a big puddle and have to mop it up

Sometimes it happens when im alseep and i only know because of the dreadful smell the next morning , imagine me on hands and knees sniffing like a dog trying to locate the offending puddle

things Ive tried ....lifting him when i go to bed , this works but i dont always remember or he beats me to it
I leave landing light on and door open , this doesnt seem to make a difference
Ive tried making sure its the last thing I remind him off before he goes to sleep

He doesnt do this every night , mostly he does make it to the toilet , but when he doesnt its an unholy mess :D

I hope we are not the only ones dealing with this , please tell me they grow out of it or i have visions of an 18 yr old stumbling into my room and peeing on my bed with me still in it Eewww!:panic:

hectors house
12-03-2013, 09:59 AM
Sorry I had 3 girls and didn't have this problem, I do know a couple of men though who did this kind of thing when drunk, one weed in the wardrobe, one weed on his daughters bed! I suppose your son is in such a deep sleep he is almost sleep walking and not conscious - I would speak to your dr or health visitor. How upsetting for you, hope someone can come up with a solution soon.

QualityCare
12-03-2013, 10:48 AM
If you google sleeping walking there's a good article on the kidshealth.org site, what your son is doing is 'normal' for some children who sleepwalk, they suggest limiting night time drinks and going to toilet before going to bed (l'm sure he does) as a full bladder contributes to sleep walking, he should grow out of it. Some of the other sites that come up may have more info, but rest assured it's normal. I feel sorry for you having to hunt for it, my son used to wet the bed every night and was 14 before he stopped (hope to God he never see's this) he would sometimes be 'awake' aware of doing it but unable to do anything about it and would sleep in it, l know what you mean about the smell.

phoenix2010
12-03-2013, 10:54 AM
Thankyou , my eldest , 21 now , used to wet the bed until he was about 11 and day wet until about 8 , so Im used to dealing with similar things

I would hate to think that he wont be able to have sleepovers or go on school trips because of this , hopefully he will grow out of it

Ill google around for more info , thankyou

Zoomie
12-03-2013, 11:07 AM
My son has done this on occasion. Last time I remember was probably when he was 8. I think he did it less and 5x times though. He did have a bed wetting problem till last summer, and since then he has only had about 3 wet nights :clapping::clapping::clapping:. He is 14 now too.

macherie
12-03-2013, 09:30 PM
If you know your son wakes at 11pm most nights then try waking him at 10pm and bring him to the toilet. Don't lift him and sit him on the toilet to do a sleep pee. You need to interrupt his sleep pattern and he needs to be aware he is at the toilet. My dd would wake for the toilet but fall asleep again before she was fully out of bed. This is advice was given to me by the eneuresis clinic and while it didn't work every time it did reduce the frequency. I was also told to make sure little one had no milk drinks after 6pm.

phoenix2010
13-03-2013, 09:50 PM
If you know your son wakes at 11pm most nights then try waking him at 10pm and bring him to the toilet. Don't lift him and sit him on the toilet to do a sleep pee. You need to interrupt his sleep pattern and he needs to be aware he is at the toilet. My dd would wake for the toilet but fall asleep again before she was fully out of bed. This is advice was given to me by the eneuresis clinic and while it didn't work every time it did reduce the frequency. I was also told to make sure little one had no milk drinks after 6pm.

When i lift him , I dont mean i actually lift him ,lol my back wouldnt take it , he walks to the loo and stands up and pees , he does wake up :)

thats funny about the milk because i was told milk is better than anything else for evening drinks

hes in my bed tonight so at least ill hear him if he gets up :D

margimum
13-03-2013, 10:14 PM
Could you perhaps give him a 'trigger' to show him where to 'go'?
put a long life glowstick (sold in fishing shops or e bay) on the toilet door handle.
Point it out a few times as you sleepwalk him to the loo before you go to bed and he may
unconsiously follow the light when he gets up. At least he'll be in the right room!!:blush:

macherie
13-03-2013, 11:26 PM
[QUOTE= thats funny about the milk because i was told milk is better than anything else for evening drinks :D[/QUOTE]

I was told that giving milk was similar to giving a full meal and the body didn't know it should be sleeping? I do find that every time my daughter has cereal for supper she is guaranteed to wet the bed but when given toast she's ok.

Love the idea of the glow stick on the toilet door handle:)

phoenix2010
14-03-2013, 06:35 AM
Could you perhaps give him a 'trigger' to show him where to 'go'?
put a long life glowstick (sold in fishing shops or e bay) on the toilet door handle.
Point it out a few times as you sleepwalk him to the loo before you go to bed and he may
unconsiously follow the light when he gets up. At least he'll be in the right room!!:blush:

Ill try that thankyou :D