PDA

View Full Version : enquiries

ozzy10
06-03-2013, 06:15 PM
Hi

I've had an enquiry from a mum looking for childcare for her 1 year old little girl.

I'm just a little unsure she only wants 4 hours every 4 weeks and its 4pm - 8pm!

Thats teatime and bath time in my house, and mum has said she just wants tea and pj's on then will sleep in her pram from 6 till mum collects.

I don't feel I'm going to have time to do any observations or build a good picture of the child but I'm just returning after maternity and need some mindees!

Has anyone else done childcare like this? What would you do?

Thanks

mama2three
06-03-2013, 06:22 PM
i wouldnt do it - I couldnt expect a 1 year old to settle with me when only seeing me once a month poor thing. In effect you are blocking the space for Thu aft , and shes only using it once a month.

If youre tempted to do it make sure parent knows that if a longer hours contract comes along you may give notice due to the limited hours she wants. And from 6-8 would be antisocial hours for me , so time and a half.

MessybutHappy
06-03-2013, 06:35 PM
I don't think I'd do it either....sorry! I'm sure you'll get sensible requests soon.

RachaelStevens
06-03-2013, 06:52 PM
I wouldn't take it in honestly as you won't be able to do any observations and you are using a space. May possibly take on only if child seemed very happy being with my family. But then id ask what is mum doing once a month is it worth while for her financially if so what is it Id love some more money lol

rosebud
06-03-2013, 07:06 PM
I'd do it if I really needed the work, it would interfere drastically with the evening routine but I'd be happy to accept that just once a month and you never know it might lead to further work in the future. I would charge £20 and wouldn't worry about observations or learning journeys but would send a diary sheet home with the child.

ozzy10
07-03-2013, 07:32 AM
Thanks all for your replies. Mum works shifts part time and has family for childcare the rest of the shifts.

Rosebud would I be ok not doing learning journal or observations what would I say to OFSTED when they do inspection?

Thanka

phoenix2010
07-03-2013, 07:35 AM
Its not really worth it in my opinion

and yes you would still have to do some sort of observations and LJ,

bunyip
07-03-2013, 09:15 AM
No offence intended, this is not a criticism of any members.

But isn't this situation an awful indictment of the over-emphasis of education/development matters within UK childcare provision? Mum wants a few hours' help here and there and all the lo needs is care and rest. But we all (and I'd be much the same) end up worried that this isn't a suitable client, cos they don't provide us with evidence for Ofsted.

Why on Earth aren't we allowed to just give a child what they need in this situation? - Care and attention. :(

JCrakers
07-03-2013, 09:23 AM
That's very true bunyip.

For me it would be the timings. I love my evenings after 6pm and wouldn't work beyond that.

vikiwizz
07-03-2013, 09:50 AM
Seeing as its only once a month for 4 hours could you class as babysitting?