PDA

View Full Version : Setting Fees

Binney
28-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Hi everyone,

Just after some advice. I am looking into setting my fees and am mainly stuck on two things:

1. Meals. I intend to provide snacks and drinks as part of the fee. I do however have a meal plan and am happy to provide meals (I have to make food for my toddler anyway). However, I'm not sure whether to charge an additional fee for meals so parents can have more flexibiliy or to to include this in my fees to keep things simple even if it means a slight increase in my fees to accomodate it (I'm just starting out and intending to charge the lowest rate for our area because of this). Could any of you share what you do and why?

2. I've heard horror stories of parents who do not pay on time and was therefore considering requesting fees in advance. Do any of you do this? Does it work for you?

Thanks so much in advance!

lisa81
28-02-2013, 02:22 PM
Hi everyone,

Just after some advice. I am looking into setting my fees and am mainly stuck on two things:

1. Meals. I intend to provide snacks and drinks as part of the fee. I do however have a meal plan and am happy to provide meals (I have to make food for my toddler anyway). However, I'm not sure whether to charge an additional fee for meals so parents can have more flexibiliy or to to include this in my fees to keep things simple even if it means a slight increase in my fees to accomodate it (I'm just starting out and intending to charge the lowest rate for our area because of this). Could any of you share what you do and why?

2. I've heard horror stories of parents who do not pay on time and was therefore considering requesting fees in advance. Do any of you do this? Does it work for you?

Thanks so much in advance!

Hi, I'm fairly new too so don't have loads of advice, I have set my fees on the low end of the scale for my area (and have got business because of this), I did think about charging extra for meals but decided against it. However I think I should have done and and am thinking about doing this when new business comes or I may just charge an extra 25p per hour instead I'm not sure yet. As it does make it simpler with just a set fee.

I think it varies from childminder to childminder and also areas what people do.

thills
28-02-2013, 02:53 PM
I dont charge extra for food but I only provide evening meal all other food must be provided.

I lower my charge if children are with me more than 20 hours a week

thills
28-02-2013, 02:54 PM
Also all care must be paid for in advance, I havent had anyone complains as of yet but I am only new too!

shortstuff
28-02-2013, 04:02 PM
I only started in nov. i charge middle of the road for the area, always in advance. I also charge for lunch and dinner. Oh n it must be ok because im full. Hth

mummyMia
28-02-2013, 04:18 PM
I include meals in my fees because I do't really want parents to bring their own food. I have a toddler of my own to feed and I worry that parents might send in all sorts of unhealthy treats that my dd would then want too. So it is just easier to have everybody eating the same. Also, if we are in a hurry, I might just throw together a cheese sandwich and some fruit and head to the park, while other days I will provide a full cooked lunch. If I was charging for meals I would feel bad just giving a sandwich. :)

Definitely charge in advance and also ask for a deposit to cover the notice period.

Nicola Carlyle
28-02-2013, 06:20 PM
I charge £4.00 per hour and everything is included apart from nappies. I provide all meals and snacks (lunches tend to be filled pitas, wraps, sandwiched, quiche, sausage rolls, soup, toast and beens etc and always have tomatoes, cucumber etc with it). I also charge £10.50 for afterschool club - finishes at 6pm where I provide an evening meal at 5pm. Diners include things like sausage casserole, lasagne, fish pie, roast diner, stir fry, mac and cheese etc. I include meals for the simple reason I have my own children and I don't want parents sending crisps and chocolate etc while my own children are being offered healthier options. Lets face face it we would all choose the crisps and chocolate over a piece of fruit.

As for payment- I invoice on the last Friday of every month for the month to come which is to be paid by the 7th of the following month. For example - I send out invoice in Friday 28th January for February's fees which is required to be paid by the 7th February.

Hope that helps

Binney
28-02-2013, 07:26 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied. Very much appreciated. Interesting points of view and some extra things for me to consider that I hadn't thought of :-)

Cottonsocks
28-02-2013, 07:33 PM
3 of my 15 bring their own lunch. Others have lunch with me & many stay for tea. I charge an hourly rate & extra for meals. I also charge in advance, weekly or monthly, whichever they prefer.

Tealady
28-02-2013, 08:03 PM
If you're charging low then add add a charge for meals. Once you are up and running you will really wish you had.

MessybutHappy
28-02-2013, 08:42 PM
I include lunch and tea for preschoolies, but charge extra for tea for schoolies simply because they eat much more!

Tinkerbell1979
28-02-2013, 08:57 PM
I charge per day or session and all food is included

v 1461
05-03-2013, 11:39 AM
hello,

I charge about £4.25 per hour ( more if part time) and that includes food and play group fees.