PDA

View Full Version : How to build a learning journal?

Nicola Carlyle
28-02-2013, 02:04 PM
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could explain to me how they build a learning journal? I get that we do observations and take photos and link it back to the development matters book but there are so many other achievements that our little ones make. How do you incorporate those into their learning journals and do you have to cross reference them. All advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

sarah707
28-02-2013, 06:11 PM
As you say, observe, link to the Eyfs, think about what it is telling you and plan for next steps.

Include comments from parents and other settings... characteristics of learning...

There is some info in free resources at the top of the forum to help you :D

MessybutHappy
28-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Like many others, I note their little achievements as wow moments, one sheet per month, shared with parents and put in the file. Things like Jonny clapped his hands, sally cut a tooth. Then the big stuff gets the full work up - links to EYFS, next steps etc. HTH!

gef918
09-03-2013, 09:51 AM
As well as the regular observations, I do mini observations - about 3 a day, rarely less, often more. At the moment, I link these to the Development Matters areas, because it helps me keep track of the areas I have covered. I think it's also nice to show parents what their children have been doing, how they've been doing it, interesting things they have said, etc. In my daily contact book I might say 'we made masks', but in the LJ I can go into detail about exactly what their child did, e.g. why the child chose to make a mouse mask, the little song he sang as he made it, how he spent 5 mins playing with the glue and then asked to wash his hands, etc.

Rick
09-03-2013, 10:03 AM
As well as the regular observations, I do mini observations - about 3 a day, rarely less, often more. At the moment, I link these to the Development Matters areas, because it helps me keep track of the areas I have covered. I think it's also nice to show parents what their children have been doing, how they've been doing it, interesting things they have said, etc. In my daily contact book I might say 'we made masks', but in the LJ I can go into detail about exactly what their child did, e.g. why the child chose to make a mouse mask, the little song he sang as he made it, how he spent 5 mins playing with the glue and then asked to wash his hands, etc.

That sounds great but also quite a lot! You don't want to miss the most important stuff by putting too much in. You also don't want to take too much time away from the children writing too many obs and linking. Do you do next steps for every mini observation as well?

Not being critical, we all do it differently :thumbsup:

gef918
22-03-2013, 09:09 PM
That sounds great but also quite a lot! You don't want to miss the most important stuff by putting too much in. You also don't want to take too much time away from the children writing too many obs and linking. Do you do next steps for every mini observation as well?

Not being critical, we all do it differently :thumbsup:

It's a lot of work, but it only takes a second to note things down (normally record it on my phone and write it down when they have left). I don't do next steps for every mini observation, only where it seems appropriate. Currently thinking about ways to reduce the amount of work without reducing the quantity and quality of the observations.