PDA

View Full Version : 2nd reading

SammySplodger
25-02-2013, 04:04 PM
Has it happened yet? I just got home from school and they are talking Economic Policy....
?????

mum26
25-02-2013, 04:09 PM
No it hasn't - avidly turned tv on at 3.30 pm but no debate as yet.

WibbleWobble
25-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Fighting with the chancellor at the mo.....wish they would shut up and talk about our stuff!

wibble the impatient x

AgentTink
25-02-2013, 04:32 PM
No we have been bumped out the way for now due to the economy losing its triple AAA rating over the weekend. It's just a waiting game now

chriss
25-02-2013, 04:41 PM
What we waiting for lol ?? And what channel...Doh

mazza58
25-02-2013, 04:41 PM
Yes its just starting now :clapping::clapping:

WibbleWobble
25-02-2013, 04:47 PM
not many there and it looks like a bit of a shambles....lots of "ers" and people talking in the back ground

wibble x

blue bear
25-02-2013, 05:00 PM
Bbc parliament think I will wait for others to tell me what it all means.

Memina
25-02-2013, 05:03 PM
They're still talking about adoption.

welshgirl
25-02-2013, 05:16 PM
Have I missed it, I'm watching the live stream on my I phone. They seem to be talking about adoption, I'm not sure who the man talking is?

jo.jo76
25-02-2013, 05:26 PM
They are really rushing though it! What a shambles!

nipper
25-02-2013, 05:30 PM
Seems they are debating the children and families Bill and there are not many MP'S there at all...what does this tell you?

jo.jo76
25-02-2013, 05:34 PM
He read straight through the agency bit without any time for questions!

FussyElmo
25-02-2013, 05:45 PM
I going to tell you what I think.

The reason the powers that be have put agencies in the children and families bill is that to get agencies passed without much objection.

they are being really sneaky and underhand as the adoption laws of this country do need reviewing.

I wonder how many cms across the country knew about the bill being in parliament. Thats what the government are doing getting bits through without the majority knowing.

Keep shouting everyone we need to get louder :thumbsup:

SammySplodger
25-02-2013, 05:57 PM
For anyone not sure what's going on - 2nd Reading of Children & Families Bill - Live on TV now - Parliament Channel 81.

Sharon Hodgson MP & hopefully others are supposed to be supporting us and flagging up ratios & agencies.

But still waiting...

No sign of Truss either...

Tunja
25-02-2013, 06:08 PM
He read straight through the agency bit without any time for questions!

He revisited it at 18.03 he said not in this format and cited sustainability and parental confidence. It appears he has been listening.

Tunja

SammySplodger
25-02-2013, 06:10 PM
Yes but Stephen Twigg did not go far enough... hoping for more :-(

AgentTink
25-02-2013, 06:12 PM
Labour said they support the basic idea of agencies if it is about getting childcare better, more support for childminders and helping parents finding childcare.

However they said :
1) The details are too hazy at the present time
2) They will only support plans for agencies if they do not make extra costs for parents
3) They want to know what does the bill mean for LA's and the work they do
4) They want to know what is the criteria for inspecting agencies
5) Concern that agencies will cream off money, meaning less given to child carers and raises costs to parents. They want assurances that agencies will actually support better childcare and not just be money making

Other things were said this was just what i could remember

jillplum
25-02-2013, 06:33 PM
At least someone is asking questions.

sarah707
25-02-2013, 06:37 PM
We sent a copy of our analysis document to Mr Twigg... it sounds very much like he (or someone working for him) read it! :clapping:

FussyElmo
25-02-2013, 06:37 PM
Labour said they support the basic idea of agencies if it is about getting childcare better, more support for childminders and helping parents finding childcare.

However they said :
1) The details are too hazy at the present time
2) They will only support plans for agencies if they do not make extra costs for parents
3) They want to know what does the bill mean for LA's and the work they do
4) They want to know what is the criteria for inspecting agencies
5) Concern that agencies will cream off money, meaning less given to child carers and raises costs to parents. They want assurances that agencies will actually support better childcare and not just be money making

Other things were said this was just what i could remember

Asmuch as this pains me to write (the FIL is a labour councillor) Labour are listening they could be our best line of defence :thumbsup:

jo.jo76
25-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Meg Hillier, Labour MP for Hackney South and Shoreditch has spoken about agencies too, talked about concerns about how unclear it the plans

AgentTink
25-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Meg Hillier (Member of Parliament for Hackney South and Shoreditch) is fighting our cause in the House of Commons.

Her main points where:
1) This bill has just created more chaos
2) She believes that the LA needs to stay in charge of checking demand in each area, as sustainability is a major factor for child carers.
3) Ratios are unworkable. They do nothing to reduce costs. They are at the cost of quality.
4) Agencies - How will it work - will it be children's centers and LA acting as Ofsted checkers and giving development, which Labour would support, or it is a private sector idea in order to make money, Labour will not support this. She wanted to know how agencies would work in regards to would parents have a choice which childminder they used as this was a fundamental part of the relationship for childminders and their families. Meg made comparisons to the creation of agencies for older people - this just creamed off profit and reduced care standards
5) Meg was very complimentary about childminders and the work we do, and the positive steps that have been taken to raise Ofsted grades. She read a letter from a parent who used a childminder who praised the low ratios and family home based style of care.

Heaven Scent
25-02-2013, 07:16 PM
I couldn't watch it till now did they cover it?

mum24
25-02-2013, 07:19 PM
I going to tell you what I think.

The reason the powers that be have put agencies in the children and families bill is that to get agencies passed without much objection.

they are being really sneaky and underhand as the adoption laws of this country do need reviewing.

I wonder how many cms across the country knew about the bill being in parliament. Thats what the government are doing getting bits through without the majority knowing.

Keep shouting everyone we need to get louder :thumbsup:

Totally agree, still so many mums in the playground and other childminders haven't a clue that anything different is being proposed at all.

I spoke to my son and his partner today, and they had no idea at all that there were any changes being proposed.

This must be the same everywhere, I can't believe it is just the people I know.

WE MUST SHOUT LOUDER....

SammySplodger
25-02-2013, 07:29 PM
Lucy Powell supported us as well - still watching, haven't had chance to summarise points yet.

SammySplodger
25-02-2013, 07:31 PM
May still be worth watching - have been here since 4pm and chaos going on - hoping husband is making pasta downstairs :-D !

MessybutHappy
25-02-2013, 07:44 PM
Sorry to be behind, but what is/are end result options with this reading? I mean, what can/could happen next? Do they vote now? I'm a bit confused!

Childrenatheart
25-02-2013, 08:29 PM
It goes to committee stage yet, then a report, then 3rd reading, then whole process repeated in House of Lords, then Law

MessybutHappy
25-02-2013, 08:34 PM
It goes to committee stage yet, then a report, then 3rd reading, then whole process repeated in House of Lords, then Law

Thank you, so all this chat is to inform the committee etc? Does the committee then change the words? Sorry to be dense!

jo.jo76
25-02-2013, 10:02 PM
Why on earth is the agency thing being put through on this bill!! The Children and Families Bill is huge. Having sat through over 4hrs of the debate it is about changes in adoption and SEN, which is the most radical reform in 30yrs. Agencies was mentioned no more than about 4 times!

lisbet
25-02-2013, 10:08 PM
Why on earth is the agency thing being put through on this bill!! The Children and Families Bill is huge. Having sat through over 4hrs of the debate it is about changes in adoption and SEN, which is the most radical reform in 30yrs. Agencies was mentioned no more than about 4 times!

So they can get it through unnoticed by the majority :(