PDA

View Full Version : Blanket Permissions

Belly2009
24-02-2013, 06:55 PM
Hi All,

I was looking for some advice about permission forms and blanket permissions.

I have a single A4 page with all my permissions on where parents sign once. They do have an option to opt out to permissions if they do not agree with them. I fell short in August on my first graded inspection and received a very unfair action. I had a blanket permission to allow non-prescribed medication eg Calpol as a when needed. The Ofsted inspector I had was very old school and hated this!!! She expected each and everytime medication was administered it had to have written permission and blanket permissions would not suffice.

What does everyone else do? What happens when a child need calpol unexpectedly through the day? At the moment, I get parents to sign everytime any type of medication is provided or may need to be provided.

Just looking to update paperwork and wanted to know how you all get round this.

Thanks

blue bear
24-02-2013, 07:00 PM
I get them t sign each time, in a emergency I would text for permission and get them to sign when they collected.my friend had her ofsted last week and had a blanket permission for carpool and inspector said it was fine.

sarah707
24-02-2013, 07:00 PM
I use the info in here -

Ofsted | Factsheet: childcare - Giving medication to children in registered childcare (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/factsheet-childcare-giving-medication-children-registered-childcare)

I do have a blanket permission form - for things like creams for eczema and emergency meds like inhalers.

If it's something that could be overdosed such as Calpol I have written permission - but then I check each time before giving unless parents have signed the form / child's daily diary when they come in the morning.

Hth :D

rickysmiths
24-02-2013, 07:02 PM
I don't personally keep Calpol in the house for a 'just in case scenario'. If a child suddenly spikes a temp there are other ways of lowering the temp and I would be calling the parents to collect or emergency carer or phoning for an ambulance depending on the severity. In nearly 20 years this has not been a problem. In my experience children rarely need Calpol for things like teething during a minding day.

I use the NCMA Accident/Incident/Medication Folder and I would fill in a medication form when the parent brought the child noting the medication, the dose and most importantly the last time a dose was given to avoid over dosing a child. We would both sign the form. I also have long term Medication forms if needed.

Belly2009
24-02-2013, 07:03 PM
I get them t sign each time, in a emergency I would text for permission and get them to sign when they collected.my friend had her ofsted last week and had a blanket permission for carpool and inspector said it was fine.

Blue Bear, this is what I did in the particular emergency situation and it was "NOT GOOD ENOUGH" the inspector said. She said I had not received written permission (whether or not a text message) and therefore I should not have administered the calpol. Luckily I still received a good in august but under the new grading areas this would now be an inadequate. :(

Belly2009
24-02-2013, 07:07 PM
I don't personally keep Calpol in the house for a 'just in case scenario'. If a child suddenly spikes a temp there are other ways of lowering the temp and I would be calling the parents to collect or emergency carer or phoning for an ambulance depending on the severity. In nearly 20 years this has not been a problem. In my experience children rarely need Calpol for things like teething during a minding day.

I use the NCMA Accident/Incident/Medication Folder and I would fill in a medication form when the parent brought the child noting the medication, the dose and most importantly the last time a dose was given to avoid over dosing a child. We would both sign the form. I also have long term Medication forms if needed.

Oooh, this is a good idea. I had calpol as I had bought it for my daughter previously after doctors no long prescribe paracetamol. So if I don't have it they need to bring it ..... :)

Belly2009
24-02-2013, 07:09 PM
I use the info in here -

Ofsted | Factsheet: childcare - Giving medication to children in registered childcare (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/factsheet-childcare-giving-medication-children-registered-childcare)

I do have a blanket permission form - for things like creams for eczema and emergency meds like inhalers.

If it's something that could be overdosed such as Calpol I have written permission - but then I check each time before giving unless parents have signed the form / child's daily diary when they come in the morning.

Hth :D

Always helps thanks Sarah!

With your blanket permissions for inhalers/eczema cream, how have you written this?

jillplum
24-02-2013, 07:11 PM
I dont have any calpol in the house as my children are grown up now. I have 2 medication forms one for prescribed and one for non prescribed and get parents to sign. needed.

sarah707
24-02-2013, 07:48 PM
MEDICATION PERMISSION - non-prescribed medication - pre-school

Date -
Child’s name -
Date of birth –

Your child might fall ill while in our care or you might want us to, for example, apply cream or teething gel. We are happy to support your child by administering non prescribed medications or treatments but the requirements of the EYFS (2012) and Childcare Registers (2012) state that we need your written permission in advance.

Parents, please confirm you give permission for us to administer the following medication if needed by your child...

Medication / treatment Yes /no
Teething gel / powders - when provided by parents for pain relief
Nappy protection cream or ointment - when provided by parents
Sun protection cream - when provided by parents (or supplied by the provider in an emergency) to protect against the risk of sunburn.
Other non prescribed medication -
In here I add things like inhaler, eczema cream etc...

Parents please confirm –
• I understand that the medication must be provided in its original container and that it must come with instructions;
• I understand that in some instances my childminder will contact me prior to administering the medication to make sure my child is not overdosed;
• I understand that I must sign to confirm medication has been given when I collect my child.

I give consent for the medication or treatment to be given to my child as detailed above.
Name of person with parental responsibility for the child –

Signature - Date -
Review date - Sept 2013

Belly2009
24-02-2013, 09:49 PM
MEDICATION PERMISSION - non-prescribed medication - pre-school

Date -
Child’s name -
Date of birth –

Your child might fall ill while in our care or you might want us to, for example, apply cream or teething gel. We are happy to support your child by administering non prescribed medications or treatments but the requirements of the EYFS (2012) and Childcare Registers (2012) state that we need your written permission in advance.

Parents, please confirm you give permission for us to administer the following medication if needed by your child...

Medication / treatment Yes /no
Teething gel / powders - when provided by parents for pain relief
Nappy protection cream or ointment - when provided by parents
Sun protection cream - when provided by parents (or supplied by the provider in an emergency) to protect against the risk of sunburn.
Other non prescribed medication -
In here I add things like inhaler, eczema cream etc...

Parents please confirm –
• I understand that the medication must be provided in its original container and that it must come with instructions;
• I understand that in some instances my childminder will contact me prior to administering the medication to make sure my child is not overdosed;
• I understand that I must sign to confirm medication has been given when I collect my child.

I give consent for the medication or treatment to be given to my child as detailed above.
Name of person with parental responsibility for the child –

Signature - Date -
Review date - Sept 2013

Amazing as always - Should start calling you Mary Poppins! :) Thank you xx

julie w
24-02-2013, 10:08 PM
I have had 3 seperate occassions where a child in my care has had a febrile convulsion due to a high temperature. Each time I have called an ambulance. It is horrible to see. Each time the paramedics have told me to always use paracetamol to reduce temperature before it causes a convulsion. I would never give calpol out for anything and everything as some parents seem to do, however when it comes to reducing a high temperature I will give it. I keep some in for such emergencies. I have written permission from the parents of the children known to suffer these fits, and if it means preventing a fit I will give calpol without hesitation. The childrens health and well being comes first.